Is this cichlid prego?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BEANS

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok I think I have a pregnant fish. It is kind of hard to tell with the picture I took but I am going to post it and see what you guys think. It's belly is huge and Im sure it wasn't this big when I got it. If she isn't prego could there be something wrong with her to make her stomach this big.

Attachments

• PIC-0288.jpg
    PIC-0288.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 56
Really gonna need a better pic. There are diseases that cause fish to get bloated but can't tell from that pic. what kind of cichlid is it? is it paired up in your tank? how long have you had it? what are your water parameters?

I agree with SWerner on this one, we need way more info and a better picture to answer your question. If you could answer the questions he gave you above this post, and a better picture, we'll be happy to give you a better answer.

I have had it for about a month or so. No it is not paired up with any other cichlid in my tank. I haven't had my water checked lately cause My fish have been doing good and I run off well water so when I clean my tank the water that is added is usually pretty good and doesn't require any alterations. Something that worries me is the amount of stool that comes out of these guys. I took a pic which is by far the most that has came out but is disturbing. please take a look and tell me if this is normal or might be what Im feeding them or a something else. Also note that it is curled up on the sand as well as dangling all the way to the sand.

It is a "rust cichlid" I do not know the formal name but all the research I did after buying it is all they called it.
Im sorry but I dont have a better digital camera to take a better picture, Ill try and catch her where it is more clear though.

sorry i keep editing this but figured you might want to know how much I feed them and what. It is a color enhancing formula made specifically for cichlids and I feed them two to three times a day just little pinches, they eat it withing 1-2 minutes (most before hitting the sand) I read to feed them this way until they are older / bigger then do once a day or so. Although im not real sure im doing it right.
thanks for any info

Attachments

• PIC-0289.jpg
    PIC-0289.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 68
Since it's not paired up, it's most likely not full of eggs.

What have you been feeding it?
Have you noticed any change in eating habbits?
Has he been snacking on anything in the tank?

No it seems healthy, I edited my above post, I feed it 2 to 3 times a day. very small cichlid pellets. I also have mystery snails, pond snails and ghost shrimp in the tank for my fahaka puffer. But the cichlids dont bother those too much. Sometimes they pick at the small pond snails but not much.

It was in a mix african cichlid tank when I bought it. The tank had several small cichlids of its kind and other kinds in it so is it possible it was fertile when I bought it a month ago and im just now seeing this?

the stomach in this fish is ALOT larger then any other cichlid I have. But it is the only rust cichlid I have in the tank, so i cant compare it to any other of its kind.

I was doing some research and found that some fish poop like this if you over feed them, also there is a parasite called callamanus worms it could be. But the long stringy seemingly poop (possibly worm) does not move around at all so it makes me thing more poop. but I dont know :(

No it seems healthy, I edited my above post, I feed it 2 to 3 times a day. very small cichlid pellets. I also have mystery snails, pond snails and ghost shrimp in the tank for my fahaka puffer. But the cichlids dont bother those too much. Sometimes they pick at the small pond snails but not much.

It was in a mix african cichlid tank when I bought it. The tank had several small cichlids of its kind and other kinds in it so is it possible it was fertile when I bought it a month ago and im just now seeing this?

the stomach in this fish is ALOT larger then any other cichlid I have. But it is the only rust cichlid I have in the tank, so i cant compare it to any other of its kind.

I was doing some research and found that some fish poop like this if you over feed them, also there is a parasite called callamanus worms it could be. But the long stringy seemingly poop (possibly worm) does not move around at all so it makes me thing more poop. but I dont know :(

You could be over-feeding him, I don't know for sure though. I only feed my fish once a day, they stay healthy. Also like I said before, a cichlid would be full of eggs, they have to lay them and then the male fertilizes them, so it would be impossible for her to have fertilized eggs in herself. If it is a female.

Honestly I don't know what to tell you, try to go to google and type in bloated cichlid stomach.

which disease it where they get bloated? dropsy i think? I can't remember. Is it only the stomach that looks "big" are its eyes bulged a bit as well? You should really test everything out something could be amiss.

Definatley not Callamanus worm. Callamanus worm are about 5 skinny, red- fiber like worms that appear out of the anus. Trust me, i just had to get rid of 8 fish because of the disease. The poop is red though, see if the food you are feeding has a dye in it( it will color the poop red). I would cut down feeding to 2 times a day. Also, to make sure it isnt bloat, take some frozen pea's, and microwave them, and then mush them up and feed it to them. They will have hte runs, and if it is bloat, he will get alot skinnier.

Hey thanks krib I appreciate the information. Should I deshell and then cut the peas up in little bits or mash them almost to a paste?

^ Your welcome. Yes, deshell them and make them into a easily reached paste.

Back
Top Bottom