Is this fish sick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikeybabs

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello, I just noticed strange behavior from my new fish that I got 4 days ago.. he was active and fine the first 3 days, and the 4th day i found him like this:

YouTube - ‪sick fish?‬‏

he seems gasping for breath and his body is a little raggidy, he stays at the top near the heater a lot... im hoping its not something deadly that will catch on and wipe out the whole tank...

i just did a 25% water change

water temp is 78...

any guidance is much appreciated, thanks :)

Yeah, I would definitely say something's going on there. Clamped fins that look like they have some finrot on them, hiding out up at the top... is the fish getting bullied?

I'd start off the bat with some big water changes, 50% daily... I assume you've checked your water parameters? Got any results?

Yeah, I would definitely say something's going on there. Clamped fins that look like they have some finrot on them, hiding out up at the top... is the fish getting bullied?

I'd start off the bat with some big water changes, 50% daily... I assume you've checked your water parameters? Got any results?

Yes, I actually took them right after I posted this and they are:

0 ammonia
0 nitrites
20-40 ppm nitrates

should i test for anything else? i have hardness and other things I can test for...

i will do a 50% water change tomorrow

thanks for the advice

on a positive note the other 3 fish in the tank are doing fine apparently, and the one with the damaged lip is healing really well!

edit: btw he is not getting bullied, occassionally he chases and gets chased, but only occassionally, for the most part he is left alone.

i have aquarium salt if needed?

should i follow this:

Fin rot
Symptoms: Fishes’ fins turn whitish and die back. Fin rot often follows damage or injury. It can also be caused by poor water quality.

Remedy:First, fix the water and remove any fin-nipping fish. Change some water (25% is good) and add 1 tsp/gallon salt to promote healing. If bad water quality or an aggressive tank mate was the problem, that should be adequate. Healing will begin within a couple of days.

?

Are you sure it's not being bullied? It looks like something had its way with it IMO. Other than water changes, I can't really suggest anything at this point. I'm sure others will have suggestions. Without being able to diagnose what's going on, which other than the clamped/tattered fins, I dont know, I can't suggest any treatment.

Are you sure it's not being bullied? It looks like something had its way with it IMO. Other than water changes, I can't really suggest anything at this point. I'm sure others will have suggestions. Without being able to diagnose what's going on, which other than the clamped/tattered fins, I dont know, I can't suggest any treatment.

well sometimes fish go to bully it and then he turns into a bully himself... looking closely at the fish it looks like some kind of fungus or bacterial infection but i dont know since im not an expert... could it be columnaris?

he also seems week and sometimes going on his side a bit...

do you guys think i should try to medicate him or if hes going to cause a spread of disease should i put him down? :(

Attachments

• IMG_0590.jpg
    IMG_0590.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0591.jpg
    IMG_0591.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 88
Looking at his upper dorsal fin appears to be damaged by an attack. Looks like he's severely stressed. I don't see any signs of disease from the video, my recommendation as MFD is clean water and possible separation from the aggressor.

Looking at his upper dorsal fin appears to be damaged by an attack. Looks like he's severely stressed. I don't see any signs of disease from the video, my recommendation as MFD is clean water and possible separation from the aggressor.

Thanks...

Let's play video-detective... I've never noticed the Borleyi or the apollo shark be an agressor towards the stressed jack dempsey, the only possible victim is the larger jack dempsey...

the larger jack dempsey claimed the log as his territory i think... i saw them chase eachother once before, but a lot goes on when im at work 8 hours a day i guess... :(

hopefully he heals, i am considering contacting the LFS to see if they will take him back as i don't have a home for him...

here's the video, i found him hiding at the bottom recently...

YouTube - ‪Stressed Fish?‬‏

Back
Top Bottom