Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-19-2011, 12:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Is this fish sick

Hello, I just noticed strange behavior from my new fish that I got 4 days ago.. he was active and fine the first 3 days, and the 4th day i found him like this:

YouTube - ‪sick fish?‬‏

he seems gasping for breath and his body is a little raggidy, he stays at the top near the heater a lot... im hoping its not something deadly that will catch on and wipe out the whole tank...

i just did a 25% water change

water temp is 78...

any guidance is much appreciated, thanks

Old 06-19-2011, 12:45 PM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Yeah, I would definitely say something's going on there. Clamped fins that look like they have some finrot on them, hiding out up at the top... is the fish getting bullied?

I'd start off the bat with some big water changes, 50% daily... I assume you've checked your water parameters? Got any results?

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
Yeah, I would definitely say something's going on there. Clamped fins that look like they have some finrot on them, hiding out up at the top... is the fish getting bullied?

I'd start off the bat with some big water changes, 50% daily... I assume you've checked your water parameters? Got any results?
Yes, I actually took them right after I posted this and they are:

0 ammonia
0 nitrites
20-40 ppm nitrates

should i test for anything else? i have hardness and other things I can test for...

i will do a 50% water change tomorrow

thanks for the advice

on a positive note the other 3 fish in the tank are doing fine apparently, and the one with the damaged lip is healing really well!

edit: btw he is not getting bullied, occassionally he chases and gets chased, but only occassionally, for the most part he is left alone.

i have aquarium salt if needed?
Old 06-19-2011, 01:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

should i follow this:

Fin rot
Symptoms: Fishes’ fins turn whitish and die back. Fin rot often follows damage or injury. It can also be caused by poor water quality.

Remedy:First, fix the water and remove any fin-nipping fish. Change some water (25% is good) and add 1 tsp/gallon salt to promote healing. If bad water quality or an aggressive tank mate was the problem, that should be adequate. Healing will begin within a couple of days.

?
Old 06-19-2011, 02:14 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Here's a video update, if it helps...

YouTube - ‪Sick Fish Video Update‬‏
Old 06-19-2011, 02:23 PM   #6
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Are you sure it's not being bullied? It looks like something had its way with it IMO. Other than water changes, I can't really suggest anything at this point. I'm sure others will have suggestions. Without being able to diagnose what's going on, which other than the clamped/tattered fins, I dont know, I can't suggest any treatment.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 02:26 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Are you sure it's not being bullied? It looks like something had its way with it IMO. Other than water changes, I can't really suggest anything at this point. I'm sure others will have suggestions. Without being able to diagnose what's going on, which other than the clamped/tattered fins, I dont know, I can't suggest any treatment.
well sometimes fish go to bully it and then he turns into a bully himself... looking closely at the fish it looks like some kind of fungus or bacterial infection but i dont know since im not an expert... could it be columnaris?

he also seems week and sometimes going on his side a bit...

do you guys think i should try to medicate him or if hes going to cause a spread of disease should i put him down?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0590.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	249.6 KB
ID:	40940   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0591.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	249.9 KB
ID:	40941  

Old 06-19-2011, 02:28 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Are you sure it's not being bullied...
I think he use to be bullied in the tank he was in at the LFS... but he seems safe in my tank that i put him in, as far as bullying is concerned...
Old 06-19-2011, 02:32 PM   #9

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Looking at his upper dorsal fin appears to be damaged by an attack. Looks like he's severely stressed. I don't see any signs of disease from the video, my recommendation as MFD is clean water and possible separation from the aggressor.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:08 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUKIT View Post
Looking at his upper dorsal fin appears to be damaged by an attack. Looks like he's severely stressed. I don't see any signs of disease from the video, my recommendation as MFD is clean water and possible separation from the aggressor.
Thanks...

Let's play video-detective... I've never noticed the Borleyi or the apollo shark be an agressor towards the stressed jack dempsey, the only possible victim is the larger jack dempsey...

the larger jack dempsey claimed the log as his territory i think... i saw them chase eachother once before, but a lot goes on when im at work 8 hours a day i guess...

hopefully he heals, i am considering contacting the LFS to see if they will take him back as i don't have a home for him...

here's the video, i found him hiding at the bottom recently...

YouTube - ‪Stressed Fish?‬‏

Tags
ick, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com