Is this old news??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brookster123

Aquarium Advice Addict
Anyone know anything more about this? It was in this month's issue of tropical magazine in the new imports list.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1422218307157.jpg
    1422218307157.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 158
That'd be a buyer direct price? Couldn't be lfs price?? Mine pay that for mac's.

I dunno, that's what I'd charge at retail. with a 250-300% markup. Not factoring shipping overhead, but generally in a bigger shipment that's spread out quite a bit. Granted this is site unseen stock, with no measurements, so there's no telling how big they are. Most of the stuff that is listed has sizes with it.

Anyone know anything more about this? It was in this month's issue of tropical magazine in the new imports list.

I saw that too, when I saw the article I was curious because most all the cichlid guys were talkin about their rarity. Didn't know if they found a pond full of em or somethin lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I saw that too, when I saw the article I was curious because most all the cichlid guys were talkin about their rarity. Didn't know if they found a pond full of em or somethin lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That's all it would take.. getting them to spawn enough for the masses is another story.. I'd set up another 20l if they landed in an lfs near me.

Any viejita that show up on regular wholesale lists will be one form of macmasteri or another, I would even be suspicious of any that showed up on import lists. Any true viejita in the US were collected by a few people who sought the fish out in Colombia and thus far they are keeping a tight grip on them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So that pic is not a true wc viejita?

So that pic is not a true wc viejita?

It very well could be, there is an apistogramma sp. that looks very similar as do wild macmasteri, but I'd have to look around for their original descriptions to tell you for sure. Who wrote the article, that may be a clue.

Someone from Germany on the apistogramma forum posted pics of his. You could move to Germany and own the apistos all of us tight fisted Americans dream of, I'm sure it's cheaper to catch your own, but I heard from Mike Wise that Colombia is a scary trip.

The video in my thread with the Bob Seger song?

The video in my thread with the Bob Seger song?

Lol what? Anyhoo the caudal spot on the fish in tfh is correct for viejita.

I also found out that Ted Judy had gotten some in November, but only a couple survived. Mike Wise also said that Colombia was opening back up for collection and he was contacted by a collector looking for sponsors so Mike passed his info on to apisto importers so keep an eye on Ted Judy's, Jeff Michels and possibly Jeff Rapps lists in the future. It could be a few years, but they'll make it here, the wait is just par for the course.

Unfortunately they look like a cross. Look at the caudal spot on the male and then the female, they are different.

I think know the member who collected these as he is the one who collected my WC septemfasciatus. Are you saying they're a mix with macmasteri?

I don't know much about that genus?

I know the member who collected these as he is the one who collected my WC septemfasciatus. Are you saying they're a mix with macmasteri?

I don't know much about that genus?

There are 3 species in the macmasteri complex that look painfully identical and the caudal spot differs in each one. It could just be the moods of the male throwing off the shape a bit as they look like wild red shoulder macs, but the long rectangular caudal spot on the female says she is definitely macmasteri.

Do you think your friend would mind me passing the pics on for id?

There are 3 species in the macmasteri complex that look painfully identical and the caudal spot differs in each one. It could just be the moods of the male throwing off the shape a bit as they look like wild red shoulder macs, but the long rectangular caudal spot on the female says she is definitely macmasteri.

Do you think your friend would mind me passing the pics on for id?

The seller isn't the collector so I couldn't comment on that but I would be curious to get a positive ID and pass the information on.

Back
Top Bottom