Is this what i think it is ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The two fish in the video appear to be two separate species (any offspring from these two will be hybrids).

The horizontally-striped one 'appears' to be a female melanochromis cyaneorhabdos (common name: electric blue johanni). The other one 'looks like' a male metriaclima msobo that hasn't completed its color transition.

I could be wrong it appears these fish (at least in the video) are only 'going through the motions' of spawning, but I didn't catch a glimpse of any eggs, which are orange and about 2-3mm in diameter. Is the horizonal striped one currently mouthbrooding? If they actually did spawn the female will have a mouthful of eggs and an extended buccal pouch and will usually refrain from eating during feeding sessions.

kay-bee19 said:
The two fish in the video appear to be two separate species (any offspring from these two will be hybrids).

The horizontally-striped one 'appears' to be a female melanochromis cyaneorhabdos (common name: electric blue johanni). The other one 'looks like' a male metriaclima msobo that hasn't completed its color transition.

I could be wrong it appears these fish (at least in the video) are only 'going through the motions' of spawning, but I didn't catch a glimpse of any eggs, which are orange and about 2-3mm in diameter. Is the horizonal striped one currently mouthbrooding? If they actually did spawn the female will have a mouthful of eggs and an extended buccal pouch and will usually refrain from eating during feeding sessions.

Oh ok thanks :) yeah I didn't see any eggs.. Will they eventually spawn and is it ok for them to be hybrids?? The one with the horizontal stripes acts afraid of the other And stays hid when spotted by it. Is this normal?? what do the metriaclima msobo normally look like?? New to cichlids. Thanks :)

Mbuna hybrids are generally not looked up favorably in the hobby. They may okay, I guess, if they never leave your tanks, but seeing that mbuna broods can number 20-40 fry, that can be hard to do.

To minimize the chances of hybridization, mbuna's should be maintained in 1 male per several females per species. Hybrids make ID'ing a little challenging, particularly if they're bred back with one of the parent species.

Msobo's start out as solid colored yellowish-orange fish. The females remain this way but eventually males become black fish with neon-blue blotches, scribbles, smears and other non-stripe patterns.

A group of young msobo's including one male that has started the color shift (another male directly below it is still in yellow form):
img_1465532_0_9f87f8ce576b77d065b35b0bcda917f1.jpg

Here's a male msobo in mid-transition, I think the fish in your video has a strong resemblence:
img_1465532_1_f9bee4b7258a3703a2605f83aab98172.jpg

Here are two matured male msobo's (transition completed):
img_1465532_2_1458bd12bcbc22e1195649b26513dc82.jpg

img_1465532_3_e3bdd116928a9beb6d5d325199449c24.jpg

kay-bee19 said:
Mbuna hybrids are generally not looked up favorably in the hobby. They may okay, I guess, if they never leave your tanks, but seeing that mbuna broods can number 20-40 fry, that can be hard to do.

To minimize the chances of hybridization, mbuna's should be maintained in 1 male per several females per species. Hybrids make ID'ing a little challenging, particularly if they're bred back with one of the parent species.

Msobo's start out as solid colored yellowish-orange fish. The females remain this way but eventually males become black fish with neon-blue blotches, scribbles, smears and other non-stripe patterns.

A group of young msobo's including one male that has started the color shift (another male directly below it is still in yellow form):

Here's a male msobo in mid-transition, I think the fish in your video has a strong resemblence:

Here are two matured male msobo's (transition completed):

I don't know how to sex them :( so it's hard.... Thank so much for your help. Iva tell you are knowledgable on the subject... Any advice is appreciated :)

Ok i have a good question how do you tell the difference between male and female red bellied? They are about 2 to about 3 months old maybe more!!

Ok i have a good question how do you tell the difference between male and female red bellied? They are about 2 to about 3 months old maybe more!!
You cannot really tell in juvies. When they get older, it is still supposed to be a little difficult. Females get plumper and I have hear there are subtle color differences, but I have read different things regarding the color. People seem to agree about the plumpness though.

absolutangel04 said:
You cannot really tell in juvies. When they get older, it is still supposed to be a little difficult. Females get plumper and I have hear there are subtle color differences, but I have read different things regarding the color. People seem to agree about the plumpness though.

Do you think they would fight more if they were both the same sex?

absolutangel04 said:

Do you think they would fight more if they were the same sex?

Back
Top Bottom