Isolate the attacker or the victim?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nellynel

Aquarium Advice Regular
I put a turquoise jewel in my tank a couple days ago. He was a bit beat up when i got him but he was the biggest in the PS tank and he is now the biggest in my tank. My Bumble bee which is not a whole lot smaller keeps harassing him so he's not having a chance to heal from his previous PS wounds. I was hoping he would be able to stand his ground even with some wounds since he is bigger....and he does fight back at times. I have another ruby jewel that comes at the turquoise sometimes but they just blow up at each other. So now I have a little breeder/isolation net hanging on the side. Should i put the TJ in to heal there or put the BUBBLE BEE in to chill out.....and for how long? Thanks

Here are the guys I'm talking about.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130723_204822.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130723_204822.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 107
  • ForumRunner_20130723_204903.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130723_204903.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 93
  • ForumRunner_20130723_205153.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130723_205153.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 105
  • ForumRunner_20130723_205540.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130723_205540.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 93
I'd put the TJ in there. I think it would help so that he's away from all fish possibly doing him harm.

PS, beautiful tank.

If you put the bumble bee in the net arrange a couple things give it a few days then put him back it may help. If not put the other one in there with some cover untill he heals up.

Last edited:
I'd put the TJ in there. I think it would help so that he's away from all fish possibly doing him harm.

PS, beautiful tank.

Thanks Lt.....do you think there is any such thing as having him in the net too long? Would you just leave him in until he's totally healed even if it takes a couple weeks or a month? I'm not sure how long it will take.

I'm no expert, so don't quote me on this, but is say rearrange the tank before you put TJ back in, and I'd say wait till he's fully healed.

I'm no expert, so don't quote me on this, but is say rearrange the tank before you put TJ back in, and I'd say wait till he's fully healed.
W
With cichlids is good to rearrange the tank, feed them and then shut the lights off when adding new fish. It breaks up there territorries. Also adding some tall fake plants and some more caves will help a lot.

If you put the nimble bee in the net arrange a couple things give it a few days then put him back it may help. If nit put the other one in there with some cover untill he heals up.

Ok thanks Mantelli...yeah i was thinking about putting the BB in first....but i think I may put the TJ and i need to figure out what kind of cover I can put in

Ok thanks Mantelli...yeah i was thinking about putting the BB in first....but i think I may put the TJ and i need to figure out what kind of cover I can put in

I just put a handful of gravel in the bottom of mine then some fake floating plants over the top so he feels more secure and less stressed. One bit of advice though with the net either make sure it has some current flowing through it or once or twice a day lift it 3/4 the way out out of the water and set it back in to refresh his water. The cleaner his water is and the less stressed he is the faster he will heal.

Yeah i did rearrange things when I first put the TJ in but i guess the BB saw that he was bigger and beat up and wanted take advantage

I just put a handful of gravel in the bottom of mine then some fake floating plants over the top so he feels more secure and less stressed. One bit of advice though with the net either make sure it has some current flowing through it or once or twice a day lift it 3/4 the way out out of the water and set it back in to refresh his water. The cleaner his water is and the less stressed he is the faster he will heal.

Ok cool....yeah the net allows water flow and its right across from a filter

Infraction J/K , but thread "Bumping" is specifically mentioned in the forum rules as, "not allowed".

Sorry I have no idea what you are talking about haha.......

I tried the net for a couple days while i looked for a divider because he kept freaking out. I found one in a dusty box at Petco. Those things are hard to find. He likes the new arrangement a lot better

ForumRunner_20130729_175722.jpg

ForumRunner_20130729_175743.jpg

Back
Top Bottom