IYO Lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bootchman said:
this isnt the highest quality thing in the world but i have owned one and just ordered a 48 inch fixture tonight for my 75g tank. the buld combo that it comes with would also make your fish look nice.

Odyssea T5 Aquarium Lighting

That would work just fine IMO, timer and everything! Like I mentioned if you wanted to you can always upgrade the bulbs.

Mommaof4boys said:
LOL man you guys spend a ton on light fixtures!! LOL I can't afford that... any cheaper ones that are just as good?

Aquatraders.com cheap an effective. My only negative thoughts about them is they get hot.

Mommaof4boys said:
Well... Convict2161... I am not sure what I am thinking. I would like a decently cheap light fixture that would work well on the tank. I'm not a huge fan of hanging them from my ceiling and like I stated before I don't have any glass lids or anything, so I'll have to purchase those as well if the light is going to sit on the tank. I don't want to ruin my light by splashing water. :) However, I don't want to go too cheap and I end up having to replace everything a few months down the road... and I want a good quality light that will bring out the best colors in my fish without taking out a small loan for just a light fixture! lol :angel:

EDIT: Also, I would like to have some moonlight or such lighting for night time. As it is right now.. I keep the lights off on my 44 during the day and turn them on a night because I like to be able to see the fish when I get up with the kids throughout the night!! :)

Well what I did was get some "glass top lids" for my local fish store and then went to Home Depot and bought a industrial fluorescent shop light (dual 6000k "day light). Works really week for my set up cause I have no live plants but it does grow algae on my rocks.

Light $20 Light $10.

If it sucks return it..

I did that on a 29 gallon for a while but you won't get the crisp look of an aquarium fixture. Works though.

Malawi Freak said:
I did that on a 29 gallon for a while but you won't get the crisp look of an aquarium fixture. Works though.

Yeah for sure! I have a 24" aquatic life T5 HO but it was for a smaller tank I had. I wish I could afford a 48" for my current tank. One day ill be in the big leagues with you guys! LoL

Well... DinoOoOoOoOo :) I am going back and forth deciding whether or not I want to get the one with just 2 bulbs, or go with the Odyssea with the 4 bulbs and night lights! I definitely need the "moonlight" lights, so I'm still thinking.. but I REALLY appreciate ALL of the help and suggestions I am getting from you guys! Thank you all! :)

Mommaof4boys said:
Well... DinoOoOoOoOo :) I am going back and forth deciding whether or not I want to get the one with just 2 bulbs, or go with the Odyssea with the 4 bulbs and night lights! I definitely need the "moonlight" lights, so I'm still thinking.. but I REALLY appreciate ALL of the help and suggestions I am getting from you guys! Thank you all! :)

Well if it were a vote... I'd say 4 bulb with moonlights and built in timer and you'll be a even happier women!!

Mommaof4boys said:

The two bulb current light also has a 4 or 6 bulb current light. Not sure about the price difference. I bought the two bulb and then saved money and bought another. It has two moon lights on it as well as the other one. Lighting is a pain for me to make decisions, so I feel your pain :)

If you spend a little time researching those fixtures you'll soon learn they're absolute junk. Wiring problems, ballast issues, and numerous other faults. Don't waste your money, there is a reason why quality fixtures are expensive!

That is exactly what I have read! :( Which is why I am so conflicted on what to do.. I don't want to spend less and then have to spend even more in the long run for a new light... SO... Blah! lol

Okay, next question.. I guess I need to figure out if I need to get 2 36" fixtures or just one 72" fixture?? Which do you think would be better???

HUKIT said:
If you spend a little time researching those fixtures you'll soon learn they're absolute junk. Wiring problems, ballast issues, and numerous other faults. Don't waste your money, there is a reason why quality fixtures are expensive!

Any suggestions other then those lights then? She's on a budget and can't afford fixtures like yourself or me.

Mommaof4boys said:
Okay, next question.. I guess I need to figure out if I need to get 2 36" fixtures or just one 72" fixture?? Which do you think would be better???

If it were me, I'd get one fixture the length of the tank not 2 separate. That's just me though...

Back
Top Bottom