Jack dempsey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chasnkevin4ever

Aquarium Advice Freak
Any info on a jack would help, I got me a new 50 gallon today I am going to be starting the cycle tomorrow. I got grab a filter for it. I'm wanting to get a jack to put in it when the cycle completes. And y'all would never guess I tested my tap water today and the amm is 4ppm, is that crazy or what?

JD's are larger cichlids that are typically very territorial. They are recommended for 55g+. A 50g will house a SINGLE JD. Tankmates are limited.

But a simple google search will tell you everything that you need. Here you go: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Jack+Dempsey+Cichlid+Care ;)

4ppm ammonia is crazy high. You need to worry about water changes. If you do huge water changes, this will dose a lot of ammonia and will affect the fish until the BB has turned the ammonia to nitrAtes. I'd recommend 3-4 water changes a week, maybe doing 5-10% each time, instead of the normal once a week / 30-50%.

Yeah I know and I have started filling up a five g jug with boiled sink water it brings it down to .50 which is way better than 4, the boiled water is what I will use for pwc.

Here's a picture of my Electric Blue Jack Dempseys.

View attachment 59583

They don't grow to the size of a regular JD, and are known for less aggression. They also have more health issues, are harder to care for and typically will get harassed by regular JD's.

That's a really beautiful fish! I think the one I got a hold is just a regular jack. She is pretty that for sure, I will try and get a pic of her for u.

Them not getting the same size as regular jacks is not true, keyword EBJD Titan on YouTube... He's a beast. And yes they are very pretty fish. Might do a EBJD if I ever get another tank for one.

Them not getting the same size as regular jacks is not true, keyword EBJD Titan on YouTube... He's a beast. And yes they are very pretty fish. Might do a EBJD if I ever get another tank for one.

It's very rare for them to get that big. So in general, it is true.

Do some research on it. Not just a single fish on youtube.

Not gonna argue, in the two times I have kept jds/ebjds. The eb's grew over 10". I was using "one YouTube fish" as a reference that they can grow large. As I already knew first hand they did.

Back
Top Bottom