Jack Dempsey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KKAY27

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 60 g and yes I keep central and south African cichlids together! And It's been that way for a few years and they live peacefully! I do not get males because I know when they mate they are aggressive! I have 2 convicts and 2 blood red parrots and 3 bumblebees and 3 other south Africans! I was in petco and fell in love with a jd he is in a tank with several convicts and blood parrots witch I have! They were very peaceful I watched them for several minutes! What I was wondering is why do people make them sound so aggressive and super mean? There was a convict in there that was super aggressive and the jd just looked at him!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You have to remember you are looking at a small holding tank with stressed out fish that wont show their true nature until they are comfortable in a proper home.
And what in the world are south Africans? Just wondering.

Reading the last few sentences of that I am obliged to ask first, are you just kidding? Really its entirety. Many of these cichlids will rip there lessers apart and devour them. No second thoughts given. Some cichlids are as calm as guppies and can be peaceful. The fish that have the bad reputations earned it.

????????????????????? those are the emotions I had lol.Try growing some green terrors (slow growth)save money and upgrade later it's fun, cheap and less maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

South *American sorry! I was shocked that they were so docile! I like green terrors to i might do that! They had pink convicts and a chocolate cichlid in there I liked to!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437459502.139529.jpgholding these two temporarily until I get the 29 in place

Could you elaborate more on exactly what it is you are saying? I'm confused.
Is the point that jack Dempsey's are actually nice and you don't understand why they are called mean? That's what I'm getting.

Your 60 gallon is a bad mix. The convicts are central american, the blood parrots are a hybrid, the bumblebees are African mbuna, and exactly what else do you have? That will self destruct in time, its not a good environment for the fish to be put all together. They're from vastly different worlds.

Do green terrors always grow a bump on there head? Or does it have to do with gender?

Attachments

• 1437501533272.jpg
    1437501533272.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 87
Though it may show a little in females but not as much as males

May a higher power bless that tank with peace and tranquility! Thats a classic recipe for a ticking bomb!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

For now! I wish you luck, and mean no ill will. Just observe carefully and be aware that it"could" get very ugly in there. I think you know that though.... So enjoy.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

For now! I wish you luck, and mean no ill will. Just observe carefully and be aware that it"could" get very ugly in there. I think you know that though.... So enjoy.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you for being nice about it! I really appreciate that! I watch them everyday and everybody is good! I will separate if it does get ugly!

Ive seen mbuna destroy peacocks, and ive seen convict terrorize my 13" oscar... its all situational and quite a crap chute but theres no denying the evident issues... good luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well IMO mistakes in stocking happen and its no big deal, as long as someone understands their mistakes and how to deal with them. (See stocking mbuna with central Americans).
Ignorance or denial however cannot be remedied and while in cases fish will survive, its impossible for them to live out their natural existence as they would in a properly stocked tank. I mean no ill will either and never meant to offend you if I did, I just wanted to point out how much happier these guys would be in proper stockings. However when you begin your post by saying that you break nearly every rule in cichlid stocking and don't see a problem with it we pretty much know that we aren't going to get any where. Best of luck truly, and I do hope all works out. I also hope you learn more about them and how to properly care for them.

They seem to attack a lot at night, I remember waking up almost every morning seeing fresh bites on some and the next morning dead....watch for missing scales.

Back
Top Bottom