Jack Dempsey and African cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

T Money

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was told it's a bad idea to mix African cichlids with my jack Dempsey. All my fish are juvenile and they seem to be doing fine right now. I'm aware of the ph differences but other than that what's the issue?

Sooner or later the Jack Dempsey will grow to 9" - 10" inches. He will become territorial and will start killing and eating the smaller Africans. The second scenario; The smaller, quicker and quite aggressive Mbuna will constantly punch and run from the JD, picking his fins apart, making his life miserable.
You might be able to strike a balance between Africans and New Worlds for a while, but that will change over time. At that future point adjustments will have to be made.
I've mixed Africans and New Worlds in the past and had relatively good success, but it was awkward. I rehomed most of my africans, and traded some in at my LFS.

Sooner or later the Jack Dempsey will grow to 9" - 10" inches. He will become territorial and will start killing and eating the smaller Africans. The second scenario; The smaller, quicker and quite aggressive Mbuna will constantly punch and run from the JD, picking his fins apart, making his life miserable.
You might be able to strike a balance between Africans and New Worlds for a while, but that will change over time. At that future point adjustments will have to be made.
I've mixed Africans and New Worlds in the past and had relatively good success, but it was awkward. I rehomed most of my africans, and traded some in at my LFS.
I'm not sure if what I have is a jack Dempsey or a texas cichlid1524191979921.jpg

Back
Top Bottom