Jack Dempsey and Oscar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kyuubi3160

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was wondering if I get a juvenile jack dempsey and a juvenile oscar for a 55 gallon tank with a pleco and possibly a striped raphael catfish, will they be able to get along? Also once they get bigger I plan on getting a 75 gallon for them, will this be big enough for them when they are full grown?

yea that sounds like a good idea..... you might need a bigger tank sooner than you think..... oscars can grow an inch a month if fed good

Honestly I would go for one Oscar or a pair of JD and just start with a 75 or 90. Both of those fish grow extremely fast and will healthy/happier if they have proper sized tank to start with.

Would a single JD and the pleco and catfish be alright in a 55 gal or would I still need to get a 75?

kyuubi3160 said:
Would a single JD and the pleco and catfish be alright in a 55 gal or would I still need to get a 75?

Is there a reason you want a pleco and catfish? What type of pleco and catfish were you thinking? Depending on the types it can dictate what size tank is needed.

hey guys,
While you are on the subject of these aggressive fish, I have a question. I just bought a 55 gallon to day that comes all set up with 6"ciclids (5) very colorful but guy doesn't recall names, 1 plecostomus 7", 1 pictus catfish 8" and another bottom dweller kinda like a pleco 9".
I am scared of these fish- only wanted the tank. How do I get rid of them? I am afraid of the barbs on the catfish and other bottom dweller. I also am afraid because of the size of these fish. I will be getting these tomorrow and need to feel comfortable about it. I will transport the fish in a 5 gallon pail with current water from tank. Please make me feel better!:confused:

oops, sorry!!!:( I will take pics after I get it set up and start another as you suggested! Sorry again!

Is there a reason you want a pleco and catfish? What type of pleco and catfish were you thinking? Depending on the types it can dictate what size tank is needed.

It is a common plecostomus and a striped raphael catfish. I already have them and am giving the other fish in their tank to a friend of mine who wanted some fish for his daughter.

Common Plecos need a minimum of a 6' tank because full grown they can reach up to 2 feet. The catfish should be fine in a 55 with the JD.

OK Thanks! hopefully I will have the room and the money for a bigger aquarium before the pleco gets too big for its tank. I'd hate to have to give it away if I don't have enough space for it, but if it comes to that I need to do what's best for the fish.

Yes get the Oscar and a pair of cichlids. My brother has a 55 with 3 jack dempsey and 1 tiger Oscar. With 2 pleco. Some say overstocked i don't. It is a very aggressive tank and that's what I enjoy.

Mike4242 said:
Yes get the Oscar and a pair of cichlids. My brother has a 55 with 3 jack dempsey and 1 tiger Oscar. With 2 pleco. Some say overstocked i don't. It is a very aggressive tank and that's what I enjoy.

Absolutely 100% in no way is that advisable, do not post about things you do not know/understand. That tank is a aggression and water parameter nightmare. If poor water conditions do not kill those fish they will kill each-other after they start to sexually mature and claim territories.

Mogurako said:
Absolutely 100% in no way is that advisable, do not post about things you do not know/understand. That tank is a aggression and water parameter nightmare. If poor water conditions do not kill those fish they will kill each-other after they start to sexually mature and claim territories.

He's had the tank for 4 years man. All levels are fine and they all seem quite happy. In my tank I have 3 south Americans and 1 pleco. It's a 55. I find it offensive that you state I don't understand. All I'm saying is I've seen it work fine. So why not do it.

I am sorry if I came across harsh but that is far from an ideal set up. Just because you've seen it work doesn't mean you should go around suggesting it. A 55 is just fine one full grown JD maybe a pair but thats even pushing it. A Oscar needs a minimum of 75 gallons with at least 2+ water changes per week. Depending on what type of plecos ( my guess is common) they could need a huge tank.

Tanks should be stocked for full adult size of the fish.

Mogurako said:
Tanks should be stocked for full adult size of the fish.

Couldn't agree more.

Some fish grow slower than others and may seem ok for years in a given tank and then all of a sudden they have a huge growth spurt and... voila, massive problems.

Tank size is one of the major components that factor into the correct setup for a particular specie or species but just as important are other items such as adequate filtration for the stock as well as contents/layout of the tank to accommodate the various species.

People should research a little more before giving advice and not base their knowledge on something they once heard about or saw at a friends house.

Mike4242 said:

That is just plain cruel IMO.

Although I would like to have an both an oscar and a JD, I would would rather play it safe. I have had bad luck with fish being too agressive and either losing a fish or having to return one. It sounds like your brother got lucky and his fish have less agressive personalities. Cichlids are very intelligent and with that comes different behaviors even among the same species. Whenever I try to pair fish I always seem to end up with an aggressive one along with a timid one.

Back
Top Bottom