Jack Dempsey in this tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hn1 - you've really never read that EBJD are a generally weaker strain and less aggressive? I appreciate your personal observations, but I have heard otherwise from many owners. My LFS actually stopped carrying them because they were constantly getting beat up by the holding tankmates (regular JD, GT and FM) and they also had a high mortality rate around 3 - 5 inches for no apparent reason.

I wouldn't recommend them either in the scenario here, but saying they are "just a color variant" is a bold statement.

I've read it anecdotally, but my personal observations haven't proved it and I've read a lot of things online with varying degrees of fact. I have never kept a regular with an EB so I can't make a direct comparison of two in the same tank. An EB in a tank with "dithers" is just as boisterous as a regular JD IME though. Based on EBs being selectively line bred to the Nth degree, they do tend to be weaker fish in general.

HN1 said:
I've read it anecdotally, but my personal observations haven't proved it and I've read a lot of things online with varying degrees of fact. I have never kept a regular with an EB so I can't make a direct comparison of two in the same tank. An EB in a tank with "dithers" is just as boisterous as a regular JD IME though. Based on EBs being selectively line bred to the Nth degree, they do tend to be weaker fish in general.

Fair enough. This seems to be a point of debate, but many observe tangible differences with the color variant, whether it be hardiness or timidity. Last I read, the origins of the EBJD were still unclear.

Jetajockey's comment about the EBJD being selectively timid against other JD males is interesting. Does it fare well against other large species that a normal JD would?

Reactions: HN1
Well I have two jack dempseys about 5 inches long and would eat all those fish in about a minute, though they maybe fine at first if the jd is small but it will eventually killed them for sure when it gets big enough. personally I would suggest getting rid of your current fish and get jds they are awesome fish, especially the electric blue ones, mine have awesome personality they actually jump about 5 inches out of the water to grab pellet food out of my hands!

You do realize that it comes down to the actual fish itself right?

You can have an EBJD/JD that is meaner than an Oscar, or wimpier than a guppy.

Mine are also about 5 inches long and are very mellow. Mine also used to eat live food but still never touched the giant danios.

So please, don't make a full generalization that they will kill other fish.

Easiest thing to do is trade in your danios and get the EBJD. With trade in the jd may be cheaper or even free. Also if it's a baby you could combine them and move the other fish out once it's a little bigger.

Easiest thing to do is trade in your danios and get the EBJD. With trade in the jd may be cheaper or even free. Also if it's a baby you could combine them and move the other fish out once it's a little bigger.

I didn't even think about trading a fish in. I'l have to ask about that. In about a year or two, I want to get a 125G. So moving some fish around may be an option. I just saw a picture on the threads of an Eletric Blue Ram. Such a beautiful fish.

dlongbeach said:
I didn't even think about trading a fish in. I'l have to ask about that. In about a year or two, I want to get a 125G. So moving some fish around may be an option. I just saw a picture on the threads of an Eletric Blue Ram. Such a beautiful fish.

Yes the EBR are really nice looking, I just got four anthem look awesome.

no jack dempseys are cichlids cichlids are mean mine has almost killed my oscar cant imagine what it would do to a danio i would advise you against it

no jack dempseys are cichlids cichlids are mean mine has almost killed my oscar cant imagine what it would do to a danio i would advise you against it

Yeah, I have pretty much decided not to get one. I need to find another fish that I like. Thinking of an Electric Blue Ram.

You should be fine as long as you get a small Jack and let him/her grow up with the Dino's then they won't be "lunch"
As for aggression Jacks aren't that bad, I had a 8" Jack that was killed in a few hours by a 7" Butter. Won't ever put those two together again.

check out pictus cats and 4 line pictus i have 1 they are very quick and they LOVE their owners after awhile they will swim into your hand and will look great and be a great addition here is some of my fish and the pictus all get along okay

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120217_214548.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120217_214548.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 60
  • ForumRunner_20120217_214621.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120217_214621.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 69
  • ForumRunner_20120217_214659.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120217_214659.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 61
  • ForumRunner_20120217_214815.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120217_214815.jpg