Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-16-2012, 10:34 AM   #21
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x5 View Post
Hn1 - you've really never read that EBJD are a generally weaker strain and less aggressive? I appreciate your personal observations, but I have heard otherwise from many owners. My LFS actually stopped carrying them because they were constantly getting beat up by the holding tankmates (regular JD, GT and FM) and they also had a high mortality rate around 3 - 5 inches for no apparent reason.

I wouldn't recommend them either in the scenario here, but saying they are "just a color variant" is a bold statement.

I've read it anecdotally, but my personal observations haven't proved it and I've read a lot of things online with varying degrees of fact. I have never kept a regular with an EB so I can't make a direct comparison of two in the same tank. An EB in a tank with "dithers" is just as boisterous as a regular JD IME though. Based on EBs being selectively line bred to the Nth degree, they do tend to be weaker fish in general.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:02 AM   #22
5x5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by HN1

I've read it anecdotally, but my personal observations haven't proved it and I've read a lot of things online with varying degrees of fact. I have never kept a regular with an EB so I can't make a direct comparison of two in the same tank. An EB in a tank with "dithers" is just as boisterous as a regular JD IME though. Based on EBs being selectively line bred to the Nth degree, they do tend to be weaker fish in general.
Fair enough. This seems to be a point of debate, but many observe tangible differences with the color variant, whether it be hardiness or timidity. Last I read, the origins of the EBJD were still unclear.

Jetajockey's comment about the EBJD being selectively timid against other JD males is interesting. Does it fare well against other large species that a normal JD would?

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...d+society.html
5x5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:56 PM   #23
Great white snark

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipmikeskater3 View Post
Well I have two jack dempseys about 5 inches long and would eat all those fish in about a minute, though they maybe fine at first if the jd is small but it will eventually killed them for sure when it gets big enough. personally I would suggest getting rid of your current fish and get jds they are awesome fish, especially the electric blue ones, mine have awesome personality they actually jump about 5 inches out of the water to grab pellet food out of my hands!

You do realize that it comes down to the actual fish itself right?

You can have an EBJD/JD that is meaner than an Oscar, or wimpier than a guppy.

Mine are also about 5 inches long and are very mellow. Mine also used to eat live food but still never touched the giant danios.

So please, don't make a full generalization that they will kill other fish.

AA ToS
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=tos
DragonFish71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:07 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah I do know it depends on the fish but in all my experience with JDs have been they are aggressive
Old 02-16-2012, 08:54 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
Easiest thing to do is trade in your danios and get the EBJD. With trade in the jd may be cheaper or even free. Also if it's a baby you could combine them and move the other fish out once it's a little bigger.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:53 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey View Post
At 2 inches long it's probably not reliably sexable yet.
Hmmm, I did not know that. The guy seemed really sure. I can't wait to go.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:56 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdpuffer View Post
Easiest thing to do is trade in your danios and get the EBJD. With trade in the jd may be cheaper or even free. Also if it's a baby you could combine them and move the other fish out once it's a little bigger.

I didn't even think about trading a fish in. I'l have to ask about that. In about a year or two, I want to get a 125G. So moving some fish around may be an option. I just saw a picture on the threads of an Eletric Blue Ram. Such a beautiful fish.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:02 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlongbeach

I didn't even think about trading a fish in. I'l have to ask about that. In about a year or two, I want to get a 125G. So moving some fish around may be an option. I just saw a picture on the threads of an Eletric Blue Ram. Such a beautiful fish.
Yes the EBR are really nice looking, I just got four anthem look awesome.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:15 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Activist

no jack dempseys are cichlids cichlids are mean mine has almost killed my oscar cant imagine what it would do to a danio i would advise you against it
Old 02-17-2012, 06:44 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew.hinds View Post
no jack dempseys are cichlids cichlids are mean mine has almost killed my oscar cant imagine what it would do to a danio i would advise you against it

Yeah, I have pretty much decided not to get one. I need to find another fish that I like. Thinking of an Electric Blue Ram.

Tags
jack dempsey, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com