Jack Dempsey in this tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dlongbeach

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello Everyone,

So I have a 75 gallon now with 3 lives plants, several fake, and plenty of rocks (lots more than the picture providing it uploaded). It is home to 13 Zebra Danios, 3 Bala Sharks, and 1 male Betta fish. They all get along great. I am loving the set-up and they are happy.
This weekend, I am thinking about introducing 2 more fish. I keep thinking about an Electric Jack Dempsey.

So, my questions are: is this a community fish? I am really drawn to this fish and I'd love to have it.

I have an empty 6 gallon that I am prepared to use for the Betta. Is that recommended if I want Mr. Dempsey? What about the Danios? Will Mr. Dempsey eat them?

So, if you think Mr. Dempsey will eat them and this is not recommended, do you have another fish in mind? I want something striking and full of personality. Thanks for your time!:thanks:

Attachments

• A1.jpg
    A1.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 136
I can't give you much info on them, there's several on here that keep them. But I do know they get big, and mean I think. I'm pretty sure the danios would be lunch for sure.

I can't give you much info on them, there's several on here that keep them. But I do know they get big, and mean I think. I'm pretty sure the danios would be lunch for sure.

I heard they get big, too. I am prepared to get a bigger aquarium in one year or so.

From what I've read on other threads I believe a JD would be fine in a 75g, and I also have read the electric blues don't get quite as big and aren't so aggressive. So your tank is fine it's a matter of what's in it, I suspect anything you have in there could be considered food for your JD if you get it but if you keep it well fed it won't be so tempted to snack on his neighbors.

From what I've read on other threads I believe a JD would be fine in a 75g, and I also have read the electric blues don't get quite as big and aren't so aggressive. So your tank is fine it's a matter of what's in it, I suspect anything you have in there could be considered food for your JD if you get it but if you keep it well fed it won't be so tempted to snack on his neighbors.

Thanks. I have heard the Electric Blues are not as aggressive. That gives me hope. The pet store is getting some on Friday.

In a word, no. EBs have the same level of aggression as their regularly colored counterparts. They are bred for coloration, not temperament. They are also eaters of opportunity. You cannot feed them often enough or enough food to displace their instinct.

A JD will NOT work well in that tank. The danios will eventually disappear while the JD gets fatter and the betta stands little to no chance. Sorry to bear bad news.

HN1 said:
In a word, no. EBs have the same level of aggression as their regularly colored counterparts. They are bred for coloration, not temperament. They are also eaters of opportunity. You cannot feed them often enough or enough food to displace their instinct.

A JD will NOT work well in that tank. The danios will eventually disappear while the JD gets fatter and the betta stands little to no chance. Sorry to bear bad news.

I never once said the JD wouldn't eat it's tankmates, I actually said they likely be considered food. Keeping it well fed was a suggestion of a way to possibly avoid everything being eaten, I'm not an expert nor have claimed to be but something/anything well fed will not be as willing to eat as if it was starved. As far as aggression goes ive read from many members that the EBJD is less aggressive.

I never once said the JD wouldn't eat it's tankmates, I actually said they likely be considered food. Keeping it well fed was a suggestion of a way to possibly avoid everything being eaten, I'm not an expert nor have claimed to be but something/anything well fed will not be as willing to eat as if it was starved. As far as aggression goes ive read from many members that the EBJD is less aggressive.

I'm sorry if it came out wrong. No worries, I wasn't trying to be argumentative. I just always try to minimize the typing involved. lol

I've not read that, but I don't doubt that you have. The EBJDs that we've kept have shown no differences other than color from the normal ones.

I'm sorry if it came out wrong. No worries, I wasn't trying to be argumentative. I just always try to minimize the typing involved. lol

I've not read that, but I don't doubt that you have. The EBJDs that we've kept have shown no differences other than color from the normal ones.

Thanks for your help here. I'm just going to have to go with another fish, I think.

You can go with giant danios with JDs. I keep regular JDs with giants and have no issues at all. Since most EBJDs that are on the market are usually 2-4 inches, the aggression should be minimal. Notice I said should. It does vary fish to fish, so I am generalizing.

Also the larger rainbows like Bosemani, Turquoise etc should work.

The faster type fish (like those I named) tend to freak JDs out, in my experience anyways.

Give your JD a nice cave, plant your tank and you have a good chance.

You can go with giant danios with JDs. I keep regular JDs with giants and have no issues at all. Since most EBJDs that are on the market are usually 2-4 inches, the aggression should be minimal. Notice I said should. It does vary fish to fish, so I am generalizing.

Also the larger rainbows like Bosemani, Turquoise etc should work.

The faster type fish (like those I named) tend to freak JDs out, in my experience anyways.

Give your JD a nice cave, plant your tank and you have a good chance.

I just looked up the Bosemani, and that is a great looking fish. Very striking. The guy at the pet store is getting a new shipment on Friday, so we will see.

I also need to get more rock for a nice cave this weekend. And some plants. Good advice all around, so thank you.

Well I have two jack dempseys about 5 inches long and would eat all those fish in about a minute, though they maybe fine at first if the jd is small but it will eventually killed them for sure when it gets big enough. personally I would suggest getting rid of your current fish and get jds they are awesome fish, especially the electric blue ones, mine have awesome personality they actually jump about 5 inches out of the water to grab pellet food out of my hands!

Well I have two jack dempseys about 5 inches long and would eat all those fish in about a minute, though they maybe fine at first if the jd is small but it will eventually killed them for sure when it gets big enough. personally I would suggest getting rid of your current fish and get jds they are awesome fish, especially the electric blue ones, mine have awesome personality they actually jump about 5 inches out of the water to grab pellet food out of my hands!

You see, that's what I want! Some fish with personality! I was thinking about moving the danios to a different tank, so that's funny you mentioned that. I just may get Mr. Dempsey anyway and start making some plans to move the other fish. I think the bala sharks will be okay. They will get pretty big. I have 3 and already they are 2 and a half inches long. I just want some more entertaining fish in the 75G. The danios are boring to me. And they all look the same. They certainly don't work for their food!

They have a JD for like $7 bucks at this pet store. It's a male and a little over two inches long. Then he is getting some EBJD on Friday!

Yeah I've had a lot of fish before and JDs are definitely my favorite, every time I'm in my room they swim back and forth at the glass begging for food too. I would love to get some of the electric blues but the only ones I can find around my area are 25 bucks and they are about an inch long so they would get eaten

Hn1 - you've really never read that EBJD are a generally weaker strain and less aggressive? I appreciate your personal observations, but I have heard otherwise from many owners. My LFS actually stopped carrying them because they were constantly getting beat up by the holding tankmates (regular JD, GT and FM) and they also had a high mortality rate around 3 - 5 inches for no apparent reason.

I wouldn't recommend them either in the scenario here, but saying they are "just a color variant" is a bold statement.

My EBJD is timid up against regular male JD's that I have kept with him in the past, but he's still a JD and he's just as aggressive as the other JD's when dealing with other tankmates. As far as being a weaker strain, they do tend to have internal parasite issues so treating while young or at the first sign of trouble is a recommended practice.

My experience is limited to the one that I have, I haven't kept any other EBJDs, just lots of JD/BGJDs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom