Jack Dempsey Rescue. Advice please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lewisc12

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just rescued this 10" JD from a reptile store where it was being kept in a filthy pond with a large turtle. The shop owner gave it to me for free because he is in very bad shape. I do not intend to keep him, just nurse him back to health. I've been fortunate to not have any of my own fish in this kind of condition and would appreciate any advice, thanks!

Attachments

• image-3785726728.jpg
    image-3785726728.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 165
Wow! That poor JD :( Good thing you came along. I would give double dose stress coat and anti-fungal medication. He may not survive judging how he looks. Good luck and well done for rescuing him :)

You can try keeping the lights off or low to keep stress down as well.

Poor guy. Just give him some TLC and clean water and stress coat. He should at least come around a bit..keep us posted and goodluck!

Thanks guys! Already started with the melafix and stress coat. Will be doing frequent water changes and reducing the light time as well. I'll keep you posted!

Attachments

• image-2741733081.jpg
    image-2741733081.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 121
Im going through the same thing. My jd jumped out and i woke up this morning with him in the floor completely dry and stiff. Now he is swimming around fine. But still looks like H E double tooth picks lol.

Im going through the same thing. My jd jumped out and i woke up this morning with him in the floor completely dry and stiff. Now he is swimming around fine. But still looks like H E double tooth picks lol.
That's great news about your guy. Just goes to show you how aptly these fish are named :)

Just a little update: the JD has survived two nights and has started to regain a bit of color. He's no longer "gasping" for air like the day I found him and has a very healthy appetite. I'll post some pics when his fins start to grow back and the gash on his side has healed more.

Just a little update: the JD has survived two nights and has started to regain a bit of color. He's no longer "gasping" for air like the day I found him and has a very healthy appetite. I'll post some pics when his fins start to grow back and the gash on his side has healed more.

That's good news! :)

Back
Top Bottom