Jack dempsey with java fern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
**Not speaking from personal experience**

My Dad has a Jack Dempsey - 11 inches - and he cannot put anything except solid ornaments in the tank. All plants are uprooted, any other "cleaner-type" fish get hammered by him.

He does have a snail (sorry - don't know what kind, but it is large - about the size of a US quarter) and he is constantly trying to bury him under rocks! :lol:

But these fish - I think - are personality driven. Rocky (Dad's JD) had a hard life - missing a chunk out of his dorsal. So, it could just be that he is ornery!

Valina

I've had a jack dempsey for about a week now with plants and so far she hasn't gotten into too much trouble she just likes picking on the snails abit. I'm hoping she doesn't just doesn't decide to destroy all my plants one day :-(

I've had a jack dempsey for about a week now with plants and so far she hasn't gotten into too much trouble she just likes picking on the snails abit. I'm hoping she doesn't just doesn't decide to destroy all my plants one day :-(

How big is your JD? Is it a juvenile or full grown?

Just so the OP can put it in perspective - it makes a difference if it's full grown or a juvenile.

Tobykourtney: How big is your JD?

**No personal experience**

I would go with the plants and the JD. Though I read heard horror stories of JDs ripping up plants, I still believe that it's a personality thing.

Since he is a juvenile, I would HOPE that he gets used to his surroundings and not rip up your foliage. Just like a child, if he is raised in it, he will expect it.

My Dads' fish (btw - he rescued him from a LFS) is a Monster! Dad puts a golf ball in his tank (temporarily and occasionally) so he can play with it. Rocky pushes it all over the tank and gets under it and pushes it to the surface! :lol:

She's seems fine so far I'm gonna go get a male tomorrow so they're close to the same size because a 55 gallon with one fish looks pretty silly and I plan on getting 125 gallon by march of next year. I've also heard that java fern taste really bitter to fish so they usually stay away from it.

Hey everyone I have had my Jack for 2 years. He is in my 125g tank with my Midas,green terror, FH hybrid and others. I have many plants in there and the only fish that rip up my plants are the tin foil barbs ...which is pretty redic if you ask me lol. It can't hurt to try it what's the worst that can happen..you replant it. Good luck

Hey everyone I have had my Jack for 2 years. He is in my 125g tank with my Midas,green terror, FH hybrid and others. I have many plants in there and the only fish that rip up my plants are the tin foil barbs ...which is pretty redic if you ask me lol. It can't hurt to try it what's the worst that can happen..you replant it. Good luck

Thanks for the advice :)

You know what also helped when I buy plants..depending on the size of your tank.. Buy big plants like swords anubias and other tall plants. Then after you plant them put a heavy object(I.e rocks,decor,etc) on top then the little buggers have a hard time with them. You can also get the potted plants ..they will rip them up out of the gravel but they will stay at the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom