Jack Dempseys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MattMan1212

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey Everyone,
I have had two Jack Dempseys for about a year. Both about 4-5 inches. One is a brilliant blue, but the other has very weak coloration. He used to be bullied, so I moved him to a hospital tank for about a month. I reintroduced him and now he holds his own, but the coloring is still much weaker. Not sure about sexing, but discolored fish is a mottled brown and normal fish is a strong, shimmering blue. Hopefully someone can help me out with this situation. Thanks.

hmm...sounds like he's still stressed in some way...is the water all good? And just cause he holds his own, doesnt mean he doesnt get freaked out when they fight. Also, is he eating good?

just a few thoughts

Ya, They both eat well, bloodworms, brine shrimp, flakes, and pellets. Just tested water, all good. All other fish are healthy, and he swims and behaves normally, just not normal coloration. Thanks though.

I do PWC of 15-20 percent every week. The Jack Dempseys live in my 55 gallon tank. It is not overstocked and the water quality is high.

I have had two Jack Dempseys for about a year. Both about 4-5 inches. One is a brilliant blue, but the other has very weak coloration. He used to be bullied, so I moved him to a hospital tank for about a month. I reintroduced him and now he holds his own, but the coloring is still much weaker. Not sure about sexing, but discolored fish is a mottled brown and normal fish is a strong, shimmering blue. Hopefully someone can help me out with this situation. Thanks.
My bet is they are both males. The one shows less color because he is subordinate. If he showed full color, there would be all out war with the dominate fish and this is Mother Nature’s way of preventing it.
The Jack Dempseys live in my 55 gallon tank. It is not overstocked
They live with 3 other cichlids (convicts and an unknown) and they all have the ability to get quite large. Even though the tank does not look overstocked, the fish may not see it that way.

Yes, unfortunately looks like I do have two males. I have figured out the unknown cichlid to be Cichlasoma spilurum, the blue eyed cichlid, which is a decent size already, I should probably move the weaker jack dempsey to my 20 gallon or find a new home for him. Thanks a lot.

Back
Top Bottom