Jade eyed and cnvict

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Biff82

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can jade eyed and convicts mate?ive had my convict for about 6 months and he's always out and about. However i brought a jade eyed last wk and within about 10 mins of it being in the tank they seemed to pair up and now dont really see either untill feeding,once fed of they go together bk to there hide. So just wondering if they'd mate or jus good buddies. By the way i have no idea the sex of either. Cheers guys

If by Jade eyed you mean Cryptoheros spilurus then yes they can hybridize. Any Central American cichlid can breed with each other.

Sorry yeah i dont no the real name i jus saw him in lfs his fins wernt in great shape but he/she still looked cool,wicked eyes,so i thought id give it a new home. Thank you

Post a pic of both, we can more than likely sex each fish and give you a proper ID on the jade eye :)

Yes they can breed, it is preferred to not have fish hybridize though

Id rather they didnt too. As soon as there out dude il take a pic,like i say all they do at the mo is hide together. Cheers bud

I have a female convict in my main tank with a jade eye and i haven't seen anything which looks like pairing behaviour as yet. They are both about 2.5 inches, and have been in the tank for about 3 months. I'm not sure about the sex of the jade eye though, which kind of brings me on to some questions of my own which i'm hoping people can help with....

In addition to the Jade eye i already have, i today bought 2 more. One has the same colouring as the one i already have, kind of black/grey/dark blue main body with crimson/claret finnage, and the other has same main body but with yellowish finnage, looks like it has a little colour variation on the dorsal fin like the female convicts do. Am i correct in thinking this is female and the crimson finned is male? The reason i ask is because a lot of the breeding videos on you tube of these fish seems to have this colour variation on the pair...?

Any advise on this or sexing them generally would be appreciated.

I also today bought a Panama cichlid. It's about 2 inches. What is people's opinion on the aggression levels of these fish, i have read that they can be quite nasty? It would be going in the main tank eventually with the convict/jade eye mentioned above and a firemouth, rainbow and ebjd. Other fish are congos, petricolas and platinum hatchets?

At the moment it's quarantined with the 2 new jade eyes in a smaller breeding tank (60 litre), the 2 jade eyes will be kept in there on their own permanently if they turn out to be a breeding pair, and as i say the panama will join the other centrals etc in the larger tank (210 litre).

Pictures would be needed...

As for cryptoheros panamense, they can be a bit rough, but are generally relaxed. However, they are quite conspecific aggressive from what I've observed with my male. He ignores every other fish (mostly South American cichlids with a few centrals) but beat my female to near death when they were in the bag together when I first got them.

Pictures would be needed...

As for cryptoheros panamense, they can be a bit rough, but are generally relaxed. However, they are quite conspecific aggressive from what I've observed with my male. He ignores every other fish (mostly South American cichlids with a few centrals) but beat my female to near death when they were in the bag together when I first got them.

Thanks for the reply...

Yes, i'd read that but in my big tanks i make sure i only have 1 of each type to avoid potential breeding and related nastyness, so i won't be getting any more of that type anyway. Unless hybridisation occurs of course as suggested above, but so far none of that :)

Picture wise, my camera is broken so can't at moment. Was curious mainly on peoples thoughts on the yellow vs crimson/ claret finnage on the jade eyes.

What do you recon,male or female. Not the best pic of the jade eye i no. Cheers guys

Attachments

• image-3211300868.jpg
    image-3211300868.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 172
  • image-1439667310.jpg
    image-1439667310.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 402
Cheers mate. Jade eyed was what the shop had it up as.

Biff82 said:
Cheers mate. Jade eyed was what the shop had it up as.

That's the issue with common names. The sajica typically goes by T-bar Cichlid. Usually jade eye refers to the spilurus.

Nice one mate. What sex do you recon on the convict bud?

Well aparently one of them is defo a female as theres hundreds of little guys in the corner of my tank

Back
Top Bottom