Jaguar cichlid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ebjdkeeper22

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Have my 150 gallon setup. Have a speckled pike female, a male Texas cichlid ( these two are 6" a piece. The pike is obsessed with the Texas it's cute lol. I have a 4" ebjd, a 6" leporinus a small blood red parrot and a pleco. I want to add another tank mate so I'm thinking a jaguar,Oscar,or green terror but have no experience with these 3 yet any advice? Any other good tank mate options would b appreciated. Thanks :)

Jaguars are VERY aggressive. Obviously each individual fish is different but most are extremely aggressive. One particular jag I had a while back would attack my hand viciously when cleaning the tank. She was in a 75 gal tank by herself and I had to use a small plastic beach shovel to keep from getting bitten.

I think with what your already have in the tank consider the green terror. Like mentioned above Jaguars are very aggressive and may take over your tank. Oscars are beautiful but would more then likely over stock your tank. Green terrors are a tad smaller so out of those three I think the best choice.

Also if your open to other options maybe consider a couple firemouths. They are cool looking, will hold there own with what you already have, but wont compromise your current stock.

Also convicts. A mix of black and pink convicts would be nice and they don't get very large plus the ones I have hold my own against my 2 Texas cichlids. Convicts from good stock can be very colorful and are fun to watch.

Jaguar cichlids are territorial and if you happen to get a female, it will pair up with the texas, which would be trouble for you whole tank.

Agree jags are Far to aggressive/territorial for your current set up.

Are you looking for one more larger cichlid? I'd recommend in boxing Hukit, he can ramble off hundreds of larger beautiful SA/CA that will work with your set up. I'm pretty certain he will put the lyonsi(sp?) as his #1. Haha.

Thanks everyone this is great. I had considered fire mouths I thought they would b an issue but I might go with them. I have convicts in my other tank I'm not a fan of them and mine are breeding already. I wanted another larger one but I'm open to anything. I might get rid of the leporinus cuz he's a little nipper

Ebjdkeeper22 said:
The lyonsi is really cool I just looked it up maybe a store around here will have one

I wouldn't count on finding the Amphilophus lyonsi locally, it's extremely rare.

Ebjdkeeper22 said:
Have my 150 gallon setup. Have a speckled pike female, a male Texas cichlid ( these two are 6" a piece. The pike is obsessed with the Texas it's cute lol. I have a 4" ebjd, a 6" leporinus a small blood red parrot and a pleco. I want to add another tank mate so I'm thinking a jaguar,Oscar,or green terror but have no experience with these 3 yet any advice? Any other good tank mate options would b appreciated. Thanks :)

I wouldn't recommend any of the three. The jaguar is too big and aggressive, the oscars too big and the green terror is too mean.

Personally, I think your tank is maxed out when all your current fish are full size. An obvious choice would be to lose the blood parrot and get a small/medium Cichlid replacement. The Texas might bully smaller timid cichlids, so i wouldn't get a weak fish like a firemouth or they could be permanently in hiding.

I agree with 5x5 lol seriously though you kinda have to choose maybe a pair of Oscars or Texans or parrots or any other large aggressive fish as most sa/ca get too big too mean too territorial to have more than a pair depending on tank size as they will grow to very large size. If you want a diverse group go with firemouths and convicsts maybe severums and smallers sa/ca

Back
Top Bottom