Jaguar Cichlid Fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
angel babies!

Hello again Fish Lovers,

We're back after not posting in ages - we hope you'll understand when u hear why:
Our angels have finally raised a batch of fry! 8O

Our star LF Koi angel, Cindy started laying eggs a year ago with her equally fabulous original batchmate, an xlong named Fabio. Fabio was only really ever interested in eating, was an indifferent guardian, and, quite frankly, shot more than his share of blanks. He was a mite hen-pecked...we didn't name her "Mistress Cindy" for nothin'!

Earlier this year he bizaarly wedged himself under a paper-thin crawlspace between wood and sand substrate, descaling his right side. He died , after lingering for a day. ( the tabloids went wild!) :wink:

To all outward appearances, the widow grieved, but was soon seen in the company of a slightly younger companion, a Gold named Midas. After an extremely brief courtship, the couple began laying eggs. (Definately grist for the rumour mill..) :p Midas proved to be a virile and and

With all our other failures for a year, we weren't holding much hope any more, and after the 1st 3 disappointments, we didn't pay too much attention to the 4th 'laying". (ah, the fickle public!).
We had planned to be away, and we knew they'd be on their yolksacks during our absense, so when we got back and they were swimming about, we tossed in a few shakes of 1st bites, and whoa!, they could swim!

We got on the baby brine shrimp hatchin' tip and they went mad for 'em. 2 hatcheries alternating days plus 1st bites, plus fry bites and asking for more.

At 3 wks, we re-introduced live adult brine shrimp to perk up the tired parents(we'd fed bloodworms only, to ease with confusion) and saw the fry themselves tugging away on shrimp as big as their heads!
Well, now we've got 40-50 quarter sized baby angels eating us out of house and home. (got a feeding time video - where do i show it off?)

We had always read that you had to separate the fry a short while after raising them with the parents, cuz, while they herd them around for a while, they eventually eat 'em.
We've gotten up to 7 1/2 wks and mums and dads just wait patiently 'til the kids are done and and still very protective when we have to approach the tank. The babies follow the parents if they move, but the parents are less obsessive than in the earlier fanning/scolding/glaring intimidation stage. Some are long - fins, some reg. Some are gold only, some have the scribbled markings of a koi, b4 the gold develops.

We've posted a picture in the members gallery, but it's not yet up, pending.
We are just fascinated . They are developing 'personalities'. They now hand feed. 8)
We're gonna put up the appropos stuff in the new york reg forum, (cuz we haven't got room to keep them all and I'll start naming them soon...) :roll: and lotsamoresbettehs baby pix in the gallery when we get the album sorted. I'll put up a link or whatever.

Who needs the telly!!!
Now you know why we've been 'away'
The Ents

Congratulations on your angel babies!!

I always thought I wasn't really interrested in breeding but after reading your story I think I'm looking forward to giving it a try!

Thanks for sharing!

Back
Top Bottom