Jaguar Cichlid Fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

perrymedik

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all!

I have a beautiful adult pair of Jaguar Cichlids! The female is currently in the process of laying her eggs as I type!! (Horray for me!!!)

I know that she will lay between 2000-3000 eggs and that they should hatch in about 3 days. What I do not know is what to feed them. They are in a 75g tank and I don't know what to feed them that wouldn't get "lost" in that tank size. Acutally, I don't know what to feed them period. I breed regual Lake African Cichlid and have Zero experince with Central American species.

So all of the advice and knowledge that all you experience "Egg Layers" have would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!

Thanks again!!!!

Not sure how small the fry will be. I know my angel fry get baby brine shrimp when they start free swimming (I am assuming here the jaguars also go thru a wiggler stage; if so, no point feeding them until they too are free swimming. they won't eat - still on the yolks when wiggling). Initially I used an eye dropper to target feed the lil buggers. If sticking your hand in the tank isn't an option, a turkey baster might work. Lemme do a little research and see if I can dig any more info up.

Yep, according to the info I found they're not much diff then angels in terms of timing of development and feeding. They'll hatch in 48-72 hours depending on tank temps, wiggle for a while and be free swimming in 6-7 days (again depending on tank temp). Initial foods should include BBS (baby brine shrimp), microworms and crushed flake, although that should be introduced a little later. I suggest starting a BBS hatchery now; lots of info about that both in our DIY section as well as online (just google it). If you can't find brine shrimp eggs, frozen brine shrimp works pretty well; thing is with a zillion babies it can get expensive.

Be careful if you put your hand in the tank to feed the little ones. The Jaguar Cichlid, Cichlasoma managuense or Nandopsis managuensis is a ferocious protector of its young and could very possibly attack (and bite) your hand. Since they do have small but sharp teeth you might find this a painful experience!! 8O

I can vouche for that. All the fish of the Parachromis genera (the most recent taxonomy on Jags) have extremely sharp teeth, and a huge mouth for the size of the fish. I've personally felt what that end from a mature Wolf Cichlid, Parachromis dovii feels like, and to put it lightly, I felt lucky to keep my finger attached. So yes, definately be careful with your hands around those fish while they have young, most Cichlids are fiercly protective of their young, and the large, normally aggressive Guapote Cichlids(Parachromis, Parapetenia, Nandopsis, Caqueita, etc), take that level of protection to a whole new, homicidal level. Gotta love big, mean as hell Cichlids :D

My Blue faced Severums just mated

This is the first time i have had a mating pair produce a offspring, they layed eggs all over the side of a rock. Is there anything i should do... I noticed the male sitting in the corner all day and that isnt like him and when i went to go see what was going on i see eggs all over the rock. can someone provide me with a lil help on this.

:D Hey, Congrats on that!!! Severum are generally wonderful parents. They will both take turns guarding and mouthing the eggs until they hatch.

The male ate the eggs, but this was the first fry for them, he beat up a good deal of my fish, even my catfish had a wound on his side. I didnt know that the severums could be that defensive with there young.

Blood Parrots trying to Breed?!?

I know they aren't the most popular fish on this website, but...
I think my blood parrots are trying to breed. They just changed color (black/brown to bright orange) a couple of months ago and just this week, I've seen them acting very territorial, flashing on the gravel and on a stump in the tank, and generally acting a bit abnormal. I can't see any eggs, but they are certainly guarding their space very well.

Has anyone (who will admit to it) ever had blood parrots breed sucessfully? If they truly are capable of it, I'd love to see what the babies look like.

Any suggestions of care or should I just leave them to their own devices? I figure I will just study up on red devil and green severum breeding and follow that advice if I don't hear differently here.

Thanks,
-Mark and Melissa :frog:

Even if they're sterile like 99.9% of blood parrots (The rare one can indeed be fertile and breed), they will still have the instincts to attempt to breed and the behaviors that would accompany that. I would leave them to their own devices. Most if not all SA cichlids are great parents, and if they do end up breeding successfully, they'll take good care of them.

One of the suspected species used for producing parrots is the convict cichlid, well known for aggressive behavior during mating and fierce protection of fry.

Does anybody know where in my area I could purchase some fem

Does anybody know where in my area I could purchase some female Kenyi Mbuna Cichlids from Lake Malawi. I need one or two more of these blue female Kenyi Cichlids. I live in King of Prussia PA. I purchased the ones that I have at a place in New Jersey but I do not want to go there cause it is far away. On top of that I need to get one that is at a minimum about 3 inches long. I do not want it to get beaten up it is too small.

Bluegrasscichlids.com has gotten very good reviews, also. Can a LFS in your area order some for you?

I realize places online sell these but I am nto goign to spend 25 bucks or more to get one or two fish shipped to me. THat is just crazy.

Cichlids Outside?

I have heard of people having ponds before with cichilds, either for the summer of in a permanently heated pond. Has anyone tried it? Accounts sya the fish come out twice as big and more colorful. now for my next question, why can't I keep them with goldfish. I know that is one of the stongest rule people have, but why. I researched it and I came up with only these points:
1)They have different heating reqiurements-but if I am keeping the cichlids outside, they will be in the same temperature water the cichlids are.
2)Goldfish create too much bioload-These goldfish are in a pond with a filter rated for ponds, so it would be more like adding fish with a lower bioload
3) They require different food-my goldfish only eat off of the top, and my cichlids eat sinking foods, the majority of food should go to the right fish.
So this is my statement.Please reply with other reasons why golds and cichlids shouldn't be kept together, or to give advice on how to do it. All advice will be appreciated.

they might fight.
you cant keep the tank err pond at 2 different temperatures at once.
the goldfish will get up to 12 inches and if you get smaller dwarfish cichlids the goldfish might try to eat them

im sure other people can think of other things.

I am not planning on keeping the pond at two diffent tempartures at once, it will just be during the summer when it is warm enough for them.
And these are not dwarfs, they are firemouth, jack demphsy and convicts.
As for fighting, I will just have to see how they get along.

Well. I just don't think its a particularily good idea. The goldfish will not have any defense against the cichlids. Convicts in particular can be very nasty and could easily kill a goldfish, I'm sure. JDs, pretty much the same. Not sure about firemouths, I believe they're a little more..tame.

On the other hand, some of the hardier SA cichlids ARE known to survive in temperate ponds and streams. In particular, oscars and pacus are great pond fish :p Oscars have survived in northern US states in lakes/ponds that froze over. Oscars and pacus are all over the place in Florida, people dumping them into rivers and stuff.

I plan to have a oscar pond one day, personally. But not mixed with goldfish. Behaviorial wise, I do not consider them compatible.

Back
Top Bottom