Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-07-2004, 10:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to perrymedik Send a message via AIM to perrymedik Send a message via MSN to perrymedik Send a message via Yahoo to perrymedik
Jaguar Cichlid Fry

Hi all!

I have a beautiful adult pair of Jaguar Cichlids! The female is currently in the process of laying her eggs as I type!! (Horray for me!!!)

I know that she will lay between 2000-3000 eggs and that they should hatch in about 3 days. What I do not know is what to feed them. They are in a 75g tank and I don't know what to feed them that wouldn't get "lost" in that tank size. Acutally, I don't know what to feed them period. I breed regual Lake African Cichlid and have Zero experince with Central American species.

So all of the advice and knowledge that all you experience "Egg Layers" have would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!

Thanks again!!!!

Old 03-07-2004, 10:26 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not sure how small the fry will be. I know my angel fry get baby brine shrimp when they start free swimming (I am assuming here the jaguars also go thru a wiggler stage; if so, no point feeding them until they too are free swimming. they won't eat - still on the yolks when wiggling). Initially I used an eye dropper to target feed the lil buggers. If sticking your hand in the tank isn't an option, a turkey baster might work. Lemme do a little research and see if I can dig any more info up.

*glares at Terry and QTOFFER*

Card carrying member of FTAS & GCAS.
Allivymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 10:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yep, according to the info I found they're not much diff then angels in terms of timing of development and feeding. They'll hatch in 48-72 hours depending on tank temps, wiggle for a while and be free swimming in 6-7 days (again depending on tank temp). Initial foods should include BBS (baby brine shrimp), microworms and crushed flake, although that should be introduced a little later. I suggest starting a BBS hatchery now; lots of info about that both in our DIY section as well as online (just google it). If you can't find brine shrimp eggs, frozen brine shrimp works pretty well; thing is with a zillion babies it can get expensive.

*glares at Terry and QTOFFER*

Card carrying member of FTAS & GCAS.
Allivymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 10:37 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Be careful if you put your hand in the tank to feed the little ones. The Jaguar Cichlid, Cichlasoma managuense or Nandopsis managuensis is a ferocious protector of its young and could very possibly attack (and bite) your hand. Since they do have small but sharp teeth you might find this a painful experience!! 8O
Old 03-08-2004, 10:50 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to AdamsZoological Send a message via Yahoo to AdamsZoological
I can vouche for that. All the fish of the Parachromis genera (the most recent taxonomy on Jags) have extremely sharp teeth, and a huge mouth for the size of the fish. I've personally felt what that end from a mature Wolf Cichlid, Parachromis dovii feels like, and to put it lightly, I felt lucky to keep my finger attached. So yes, definately be careful with your hands around those fish while they have young, most Cichlids are fiercly protective of their young, and the large, normally aggressive Guapote Cichlids(Parachromis, Parapetenia, Nandopsis, Caqueita, etc), take that level of protection to a whole new, homicidal level. Gotta love big, mean as hell Cichlids
AdamsZoological is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 01:43 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

perrymedik-
What are you going to do with them all??? 8O
Old 06-18-2004, 12:33 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

My Blue faced Severums just mated

This is the first time i have had a mating pair produce a offspring, they layed eggs all over the side of a rock. Is there anything i should do... I noticed the male sitting in the corner all day and that isnt like him and when i went to go see what was going on i see eggs all over the rock. can someone provide me with a lil help on this.
Old 06-18-2004, 07:14 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey, Congrats on that!!! Severum are generally wonderful parents. They will both take turns guarding and mouthing the eggs until they hatch.
Old 06-18-2004, 08:58 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
Congrats!!!

We want pictures!!

Aquariums are like jello - there's always room for more.
lmw80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 12:21 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

The male ate the eggs, but this was the first fry for them, he beat up a good deal of my fish, even my catfish had a wound on his side. I didnt know that the severums could be that defensive with there young.

Tags
cichlid, fry, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com