Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-26-2013, 04:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Jaguar cichlid question

I love this Jaguar Cichlid

jaguar cichlid with tank mates - YouTube

My question is I know all juvies are the ugly (IMO) yellow and brown. but I have seen some adults 6-7" that have kept that coloring. Are there different types that get the nice white an blue/black coloring if so can you tell the difference with juvies? Or do some just never get that nice coloring and always stay yellow brown.

I don't plan on getting one no room right now. Just curious for possible future tanks.

Old 11-27-2013, 02:32 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivers2k View Post
I love this Jaguar Cichlid

jaguar cichlid with tank mates - YouTube

My question is I know all juvies are the ugly (IMO) yellow and brown. but I have seen some adults 6-7" that have kept that coloring. Are there different types that get the nice white an blue/black coloring if so can you tell the difference with juvies? Or do some just never get that nice coloring and always stay yellow brown.

I don't plan on getting one no room right now. Just curious for possible future tanks.
My male is about 7" right now and didn't really start developing the blue/green/purple shades til around 5-6" but he doesn't display them all the time, seems to be pretty random. His background color also will change fairly quickly sometimes, showing bronze, gold, or yellow depending on his mood. And his horizontal bar has pretty much disappeared and he sometimes but very rarely will show his vertical bars, which I don't really care for. But to answer your question, I'm pretty sure it has to do with where a particular jag comes from... parents, tank bred vs wild caught, how far removed from the wild, etc.

Old 11-27-2013, 02:38 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Almost forgot, male/female makes a big difference also like with most cichlids... the jag in that video is a male, females usually, but not always, stay a little more plain looking and less colorful
Old 11-27-2013, 09:13 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

thanks that is what I assumed. whoever owns the fish in the video really lucked out.

Tags
cichlid, ich, question

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com