Jaguar cichlid question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rivers2k

Aquarium Advice Addict
I love this Jaguar Cichlid

jaguar cichlid with tank mates - YouTube

My question is I know all juvies are the ugly (IMO) yellow and brown. but I have seen some adults 6-7" that have kept that coloring. Are there different types that get the nice white an blue/black coloring if so can you tell the difference with juvies? Or do some just never get that nice coloring and always stay yellow brown.

I don't plan on getting one no room right now. Just curious for possible future tanks.

I love this Jaguar Cichlid

jaguar cichlid with tank mates - YouTube

My question is I know all juvies are the ugly (IMO) yellow and brown. but I have seen some adults 6-7" that have kept that coloring. Are there different types that get the nice white an blue/black coloring if so can you tell the difference with juvies? Or do some just never get that nice coloring and always stay yellow brown.

I don't plan on getting one no room right now. Just curious for possible future tanks.

My male is about 7" right now and didn't really start developing the blue/green/purple shades til around 5-6" but he doesn't display them all the time, seems to be pretty random. His background color also will change fairly quickly sometimes, showing bronze, gold, or yellow depending on his mood. And his horizontal bar has pretty much disappeared and he sometimes but very rarely will show his vertical bars, which I don't really care for. But to answer your question, I'm pretty sure it has to do with where a particular jag comes from... parents, tank bred vs wild caught, how far removed from the wild, etc.

Almost forgot, male/female makes a big difference also like with most cichlids... the jag in that video is a male, females usually, but not always, stay a little more plain looking and less colorful

thanks that is what I assumed. whoever owns the fish in the video really lucked out.

Back
Top Bottom