Jaguars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's hard to give stocking advice for short term. You could get away with pretty much anything that the tanks biofilter could handle and what would work out aggression wise, but it'd only be temporary. As the fish like jags mature they will definitely not fit due to size, or work out because of their aggressive nature, so it's hard to give stocking advice with that in mind, it's really nothing personal.

It's cool that you have a scat, I have a few monos myself and almost bought a scat when I was putting together an idea for a brackish water tank.

This is him about a month ago. 6"ish

Well your Jag is like an oscar on steroids! :)

He will kill anything he can fit in his mouth, including BN plecos and Pictus. Sometimes this can actually kill them too. It can get stuck in there, or even if he gets it down it is very hard for them to digest sometimes.

I'm pretty sure 1 Jag and 1 Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps would work in a 125g.

Aw, he's lovely. Oscars are beautiful.

I'll rethink the Jaguars, my scat might just have to fly solo!

Sounds like you're on the right track man :) I'm hittin the sack though, I'm sure you'll get others to post tomorrow!

jetajockey said:
It's hard to give stocking advice for short term. You could get away with pretty much anything that the tanks biofilter could handle and what would work out aggression wise, but it'd only be temporary. As the fish like jags mature they will definitely not fit due to size, or work out because of their aggressive nature, so it's hard to give stocking advice with that in mind, it's really nothing personal.

It's cool that you have a scat, I have a few monos myself and almost bought a scat when I was putting together an idea for a brackish water tank.

I'll obviously have to rethink things :S

I'd recommend a scat to anyone who has the room for one, I fell in love with mine, which is where it all went wrong... lol. They have such huge personalities, will eat out of your hands, love to be the centre of attention... But very full on. Mine chases anything that's not a bottom dwelling fish.

I tried to take a photo of another fish, and this was the result:

Attachments

• image-1236035485.jpg
    image-1236035485.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 60
steez said:
Sounds like you're on the right track man :) I'm hittin the sack though, I'm sure you'll get others to post tomorrow!

Thanks for all your advice :) It would be so much easier if I didn't like them, lol! But then what would be the point :D Night.

steez said:
It's really hard!! Seriously, anyone who has read about fish realizes how much work you have to put into it. You have to read a lot and just research about what fish work.

It might work now, but I promise it won't be for long..

And man, don't feel bad. Most people on here have gone through the same stuff. But making good decisions is what separates good fish-keepers from the bad ones. I had to re-home lots of fish so far from listening to my LFS. They really have no idea it seems like(most of the time).

Yesterday I overheard a young man and his girlfriend buying a 20g tank, I heard oscar tossed around.. when the employee left to get him something, I asked him what he was planning on (in a nice way). He says "oh I'm getting that black Tiger Oscar up there, he's really neat"

I explained that the tiger oscars grow really big, and require a MINIMUM of 55g tank(that's even pushing it), showed him on my hands how big they get.

He goes " ****... why is this guy telling me it's ok?"

I said because they need sales.

He made the decision to get the tank, but leave the oscar. He said he was gonna go read online.

I felt like I saved that oscar, and that guy a lot of frustration.

ANYWAYS... You're gonna either have to invest a lot of money for those two Jag's, or just take them back and get something peaceful. You can really do some neat stuff in 30g. :)

Exactly how I ended up with my first Oscar, in a 20g! I knew nothing back then and believed everything the lfs told me!
I now have 3 oscars about 10" each in a MUCH more suitable home !
But I still hear and see the same lfs selling oscars as easy, small fish!

You can only hope that people find them a more suitable home as they get bigger, as I will have to do in a while :)

Back
Top Bottom