Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-11-2011, 07:25 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Jaguars

I was wondering if I can put any other cichlids in with my jaguar cichlids? There are currently two synspilums in there and they get on reasonably well, but I have to say I don't like them very much...

Old 10-11-2011, 08:27 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

wow how big of a tank do you have ??? and understood that some people have different tastes otherwise it would be a boring world but with saying that, why do you not like the synspilums? They are a beautiful colored fish.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:01 AM   #3

35 gallon I think (we don't use gallons in aus) but the biggest jags are only 4 inches long. My synspilums aren't very colorful, one is almost all silver and the other is very dark.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:55 AM   #4
5x5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

The Jaguars I am familiar with (Parachromis Managuense) grow up to 20 inches and would never work in a 35 Gallon. Are you referring to a different species?

Parachromis managuense - Jaguar Cichlid
Old 10-11-2011, 10:02 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Jaguar`s can grow up to 55 cm and a single jaguar would need at least 125g.
For 2 jaguar`s i would recommend at least 180g.
Depending on the individual it may be possible to keep them with other fish such as pleco`s and maybe silver dollars,but i think they are best kept on their own unless you have a very big tank since they are predators and their main diet in the wild would be other fish (any other fish).
At the moment they may seem fine but as they grow they will become aggressive and your tank is just not big enough for them.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but they will not be happy in a tank of this size.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:15 PM   #6

I am aware that I'll need to upgrade and eliminate several fish from the mix if I plan to keep them as they grow larger. I am aware of their fully grown size and don't plan on having them crammed in like sardines. At the moment they are juvenile and fine.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:42 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you are so aware then you don't need any advice.Enjoy your fish
Old 10-11-2011, 05:00 PM   #8

I'm sorry but every time I post in a thread I get people making me feel cruel and stupid, and I'd responded to someone just prior to you who was not quite so polite in telling me that my fish would grow. Didn't mean to be snappy!

The cichlids were all given to me by a breeder friend in an attempt to tame another aggressive fish by 'overstocking the tank'. His words, not mine. I've gotten rid of most but I'm enjoying the jaguars at the moment.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:05 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

IMO fish should be stocked to the adult size of the fish (not flaming or anything) But the sooner you could upgrade the better. how big are you thinking of upgrading to?
Old 10-12-2011, 03:14 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_starfish View Post
I'm sorry but every time I post in a thread I get people making me feel cruel and stupid, and I'd responded to someone just prior to you who was not quite so polite in telling me that my fish would grow. Didn't mean to be snappy!

The cichlids were all given to me by a breeder friend in an attempt to tame another aggressive fish by 'overstocking the tank'. His words, not mine. I've gotten rid of most but I'm enjoying the jaguars at the moment.

I think you're kind of misunderstanding it a bit. Two jaguars require a very very big tank. They become huge... putting them in a small tank and adding two to try to eliminate aggression isn't the answer. They need room to swim, their bio-load is very large and you'll never be able to keep the parameters low enough.

Examples of overstocking to reduce aggression would be stocking a smaller tank such as a 40g breeder with Mbuna's. You'll need to overstock it because there's not enough footprint for them all to establish territories. In a small tank like that, one male can easily take it over. But if you overstock it, it makes it so the fish can't really establish a territory, therefor they will "get along". This kind of setup requires a close eye, you have to weed out troublemakers, sex them right and be aware of how the fish act.

Also, people on this forum are just giving you honest advice. Getting defensive over it isn't going to help the fish at all. We're not calling the animal cops on you, we're just telling you what you are doing isn't going to work... There's exceptions, sometimes advice can go either way, but in this case you are definitely headed for disaster with these guys in that tank.

You say that you don't like them much, and you have a smaller tank anyways. Why not just re-home them and get something else? It's a win-win situation. Many communities can go into a 30g tank. If you're set on Cichlids, you could do a dwarf species such as Apistogramma or shellies.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com