Java moss and Mbuna

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The LFS that I would be getting the moss from told me that it would not be a wise choice, because they would eat it which I thought wasn't to bad. I don't trust most of what they say so I thought I'd check with everybody here.

if i remember correctly, somebody (travis ?) had their mbuna shred the moss, not eat it. now that won't be funny. the moss, if shred, would end up clogging the filter intake.

You could also cultivate algae on any rockwork you have: they love to graze on that, and it adds a natural effect to the tank as well :)
Mine love the stuff (which is good for me!)

MyCatsDrool said:
try duckweed, watersprite or guppy grass

I have Java moss and duckweed in tanks that house convicts and Jack Dempseys. If either of them eat the stuff, I've seen no evidence of it. Doesn't hurt the fish though.

A friend who owns an lfs told me he tried some java moss in a tank with electric yellow's. It didn't last a week. Some mbuna will eat just about any live plants, though java fern seems to be an exception.

I'm not sure how nutritious it would actually be, probably about the same as algae. Frozen peas (thawed, not actually cooked) are a better alternative for fresh veggie food.

Back
Top Bottom