JD always hiding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yup.

If you are just waiting for the community fish to die off, might as well let them not go to waste and serve as a meal.

Will my reed fish survive? Here is a list of what I have.

Attachments

• image-69610106.jpg
    image-69610106.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 66
Will my reed fish survive? Here is a list of what I have.

it's anyone's guess. juvi JD will not mess with ropefish, but as it matures ropefish will have difficulty fending for itself. i wouldn't put those two together. also, ropefish looks like giant worm, you never know down the road if your JD will see it as a large bloodworm snack. i will have my fingers crossed if you decide to put them together.

It's up to you on whether or not you want to keep the small fish in with the jd and they may become a possible meal or rehome them or buy a new tank for them to live seperetly.. I've heard a lot of jds get scared or timid acting when they are moved but are likely to recover. More hiding places, plants, decor, etc will help it be able to hide but that doesn't mean you'll see it more. My jd is so good at hiding (it blends in well with my black background). But he comes out when I walk up to the tank. But none of my friends will ever see him unless its a pic, all my SA cichlids hide when strangers walk in.

Is your parrot cichlid much larger than him?

Removed the divider. So far no casualties. Kid actually came out to eat. Never seen that before. Here's a pic.

Attachments

• image-3705901746.jpg
    image-3705901746.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 69
This is all the blood parrot does. He don't look to good.

Attachments

• image-2477704545.jpg
    image-2477704545.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 64
When I first got my JD he hid every time I entered the room, now when I enter the room he comes out to see what's going on. Give it time, he may come around or he may not. They are notoriously shy but I found it helped for him to have a friend in there so he felt more "safe" out in the open. And you've already provided that :) best of luck!

My JD is biting the blood/red parrot every once in a while. He hasn't even bothered any of the other fish. In fact the reed fish went into the rock thing with the JD. If the parrot does that, it gets chased out. I thought there would be nothing but skeletons by now. So far so good.

Yay I'm glad he came out! It does sound like maybe since there is more tank space maybe he's picking on the parrot cichlid because he wants to claim more of the tank. But I agree with giving it time. The jd won't be so shy after a while. I can't promise that. But from what I heard they can come back well if they're taken care of. Mine isn't out and about until I come up to the tank but that's all I really care about.

If he doesn't come out, some jds are better off alone.

If he gets more aggressive I'd try to rehome or get another tank for the smaller fish and parrot if he keeps picking on it.

Yay I'm glad he came out! It does sound like maybe since there is more tank space maybe he's picking on the parrot cichlid because he wants to claim more of the tank. But I agree with giving it time. The jd won't be so shy after a while. I can't promise that. But from what I heard they can come back well if they're taken care of. Mine isn't out and about until I come up to the tank but that's all I really care about.

If he doesn't come out, some jds are better off alone.

If he gets more aggressive I'd try to rehome or get another tank for the smaller fish and parrot if he keeps picking on it.

Happy fish

Attachments

• image-1484233826.jpg
    image-1484233826.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 58
How you set up your decor makes a difference. If his cave is in the middle of the tank he will try to claim the whole thing. I like to build a spot up against the side of the tank for mine, and then you can see them if they are hiding too. Another larger fish to act as a dither fish may help too, one that stays out most of the time. Visual walls work well to establish areas in the tank too, like rock piles or tall plants they can't see past from inside their home.

My JD decided to stir out sand and make a den beside the clay pot on the right side of the tank I had set up for some breeders, so had to shuffle things around and make a few new caves on the far left of the tank. Also notice even with the water at 79.9 to 80.2 he still loves the left side of the tank with the heater, so thinking of moving it.

Back
Top Bottom