jd have had babbies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VOZIE

Aquarium Advice Activist
My jd laid a load of eggs a few days ago and yesterday they hatched and were moved to a rock. I hope that they have been moved again last night under a rock. I just need advise on what to do and how to care for them. Any advise would be great.

Water change water change water chage. Im not sure if jd will care for their young or not if they do life is easy. Do a water change. Take a bunch of flake food place in a ziplock bag and crush in to a fine powder and use this to feed babbies about 4 or 5 times a day. To feed just take a pinch between thumb and forefinger reach into the tank about half way and grind your thumb and forefinger together to disperse then wiggle your fingers a bit to stirr it around a bit. Do this above the babbies.
Set up an empty grow out tank and use water from your breeder tank to cycle quicker. Water changes should be at least once a day, this will help prevent deformiteys ect... as they get a little bigger you can start the feed with brine shrimp either frozen or grown yourself. A big pop bottle and air stone is neede here. I grow brine shrimp and feed to my breeders too. When feeding flake i use a high protine food.
After a month or so, when they are not so delicate transfer to grow out tank. If jd's dont care for their young you will want to get then into a tank asap. They can be transferd using a turkey baster if need be, but you will likely kill a few in the process.
I can not stress enough the importance of water changes, once a day mininmum. Ammonia builds quickly due to amount of feedings, its hard to clean substrate cause babbies will hang on the bottom. When they are transfed to an empty grow out tank it is easier to vac bottom as you can see excess food and you can pull the tube off the siphon end of substrate vac and just use the tube to vac so you dont suck up babbies.
Hope this helps and good luck.

I am worried for a number of reasons. First I have an oscar in the same tank. He has tajen a bit of a hiding and to be honest will not stray near the jds. The second worry is shock of water changes. Will the change in temp damage the babies and will the pipe for syphoning scare the fish. At the mo both parents are doing a great hob moving the young fry about and standing guard over them. I dont want to spook them

If u have oscars id get them out asap. As soon as they start free swimming the oscars will get them. Even a rubermaid bin will work or something to the effect. If have a 5 or a 10 gallon thats perfect you can siphon off enough water out of your display tank to keep them going. Course you will need a filter and heater. Take your filter from your display tank and put it on the 10gal. (If you can). Put your fresh new filter and put it on display tank for a few days to let bb build up in it. Your jd and oscars will be fine its the same as changing your filter cartredge. After a few days you switch filters back around, all your trying to do here is put something together quick and cycled immediately so you can transfer babbies to it. 10gal isnt ideal but will work or a month or two till you can cycle out a better grow out tank.
By now you should be ok to go in and scoop them out with a net if your carefull. Chuck your oscars in a bucket till you get all the babbies out so they dont get a tastey lil treat. (Id use a minnow net for this. Try to get the water temp the same as the display tank then transfer. If you siphon atleast half a tanks worth of water to the grow out tank, top up with tap water and treat with prime and the temp is the same it should be safe to transfer them.
After the transfer it is very important to do your daily water changes (1/3) as mom and dad arnt there to fan them and keep them clean. Oh almost forgot put a piece of filter foam over the intake so they dony get sucked up lol. I find womens nylons get to pluged up and choke out the filter to easy.
I know it seems like a lot but its not really, and its neat watching them grow. The fact that thhey are jd's you shouldent have a problem getting rid of them. Good luck keep us posted and i hope you get them moved before your oscars have a sweet tastey lunch lol.

Ok fry are free swimming and oscar has been beaten back. I cant get him out. Can I move fry in to griwer tank now. Its cycled and warm enough. Oscar looks worse for wear. Not liking the possibke outcome. In a muddke here.

They should be ok aslong as your gentle and your water parameters are ok. Just make sure you keep up with your daily water changes and keep the grow out tank as clean as possiple.

Back
Top Bottom