Jd male or female?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lydia

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all! This is Walter. We got him/her the other day. He/she seems to be doing really well. My friend named it Walter cause he/she looked like a grumpy old man! Lol. But I was thinking what if Walter is a girl? She would need a new name! I looked up how to sex these guys and I am only more confused. Here are some pics. I'll try to get more but he/she won't sit still! Thanks all!

Attachments

• image-797199255.jpg
    image-797199255.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 96
  • image-264095020.jpg
    image-264095020.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 81
  • image-2854924825.jpg
    image-2854924825.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 86
IMO, It looks to be female to me, the heavy specs around the gill plates, and the anal fin is not as long as a males. Mine had long fins that were almost to the end of the tail In length.

It is a great looking jd. Very nice coloring in her. Good luck with it. They are great fish.

personally i think female because of the non-tapered fins and the less dotted back, but the colours are vibrant enough to be male....

i think female. i may be wrong :) x

Thank you! It was in such a small tank at lfs i had to save it. It only had half of one of those really small display tanks. (5gal i think) now it is in my 55 gal with only a pleco in with her/him. i was thinking that she was probably female but I read that males have a black spot on the body and mine definitely does so I don't know.

Mouth-Brooder-Fanatic said:
personally i think female because of the non-tapered fins and the less dotted back, but the colours are vibrant enough to be male....

i think female. i may be wrong :) x

The bright colors also made me think male. Idk!!!!!

It was sold to me as an unknown but I'll get pics. And I have never even heard of venting. What is it??

I am gonna try that seeing as how that is really the only way to be sure. I am not gonna scoop him and be extra nosey.  since we brought him home he has been doing almost flips, going from the top to the bottom of the tank. He looks like he is doing cartwheels! I think he is celebrating room to move! Anyways I can see his belly while he is flipping and I'll try to peek. Thanks for your help! If this doesn't work I'll prob be back with more pics!

Thanks! She is definitely very pretty and really fun to watch. So happy we chose this particular fish. They had many jd's... Anyways, I watched her flip for about 10 min trying to "vent" her and I couldn't see anything. She was moving way to fast. Still trying to get more pics. I'm thinking she is a she but still up in the air. The gill plate markings and the shorter fins are compelling signs she is in fact a she but isn't the black spot on the body a male trait? I'll get more pics but it is pretty prominent. Just wanna know if Walter for sure needs a new name. :)

So anyone have any good name ideas?? Lol. I don't think she should say a Walter.

I like those but don't know if my fiancé will go for it.

I like Jackie. Amazonia is cool too but quite a mouthful. I'm one of those crazies who talks to their fish so I don't know about that one. I know a Sheila and a Mia lol so that won't work...

Looks like a young female to me. Should color up around the gill plate more as she gets bigger. I'd give her time to get settled in, some of my JD's didn't eat for at least a week after I got them.

Back
Top Bottom