Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-12-2013, 04:50 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Jeffrey Dahmer of the fish world

So in my aquarium keeping noobishness I bought a jeweled cichlid because he looked cool and of course the chain store worker didn't have anything about my purchase of both him and guppies at the same time. But needless to say he murdered the crap out of everything in the tank and proceeds to this day to viciously attack anything (including me) that enters his home 10 gallon tank. But now he is 4 years old and half blind from some unknown ailment that never responded to treatment. At any rate I have named him Chewy and he is my friend.

My question is would he be okay in a 55g Mbuna tank? Or should I let him stay in the too small 10 gallon that I have him currently in. PH isn't an issue since mine floats at around 8 straight from the tap which is what he has been kept at for his whole life

Old 03-12-2013, 09:57 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

From my limited experiance you just dont know what will happen for sure until you try. i had two red jewels in a mixed mbuna 55g and they where no trouble at all. I then moved them to a new SA tank with 2 firemouths and two turquoise jewels. They were fine for a week or so then the more colorful red went after the other red and one of the turquoise, nipped their tails ragged. I moved the hurt red back to the african tank and she is fine again (tail grew back just fine). The bullied turquoise didnt make it.

I didnt find out until later that they are aggressive fish - the stores sure dont tell you.

Tags
fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com