Jewel Chiclid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

moetec

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
my jewel chiclid used to be very active. ive had him for 12 years now. he just sits inside his log reef thing in the dark. is there anything wrong with him its been three weeks since he does this. he still eats but from inside the log. is he on his last leg about to die or what. please help me and my Dos Vampirie.

I thought those only lived about 9 years or so.. I hate to say this but maybe hes just getting close to his time and he's just resting it up. Besides if you've had him that long I doubt you could do anything wrong for him. If he's been with you that long, i'm sure you've been a great parent...

I hope i'm wrong though , best of luck

I used to have a couple jewels and they just kinda hung out too, but i never had them that long though. I hope its not the end of the line for your little guy, but if it is im sorry and wish your tank the best.

thanks guys. if he is on his last days he will be missed. then we are getting something else maybe mbunas. dont know.

My cichlid does that about all the time, he only comes out to be mean to the other cichlids or to eat.

well guys. yes the day has come. i cam home from work tonight and he was swimming on his side. trying to stay upright. it was a sad sight. i screamed!!! but i dont know what to do, either bury him or flush him. now i have to get some more fish. i like agressive ones. any suggestions, but i do like mbunas. i want to stay in the chiclid department, maybe something colorful but aggressive. do help.

Dos Vampirie will be missed. :(

oh i have a fresh water tank too. i do think i can see about doing salt water, whats ur recommendation for that and up keep time.

Don't flush him. Just put him in some water with clove oil as an anesthetic, them pop him in the freezer (in that container).

I like mbuna.....

You should superdose clove oil then place him in VODKA, it will kill him almost instantly. and painlessly. Yes mbuna are nice. Or Central american cichlids.

I'm not saying "Finish the job"

I'm saying don't let your fish suffer if it is obvious distress. I don't want to sound cruel as it has been a companion for a long time, but you don't wnt disease to set in while your fish is in decline. Bacteria and paracites will find a weakened fish an easy target. Don't let them build up in your tank, and don't let them make the end painful for your fish.

so my fish is not dying i guess he was just doing his thing. he is back to his normal feisty and aggressive self. 12 years and counting WHOOT WHOOT!!!

well Dos died Tuesday. he wasnt eating for about a week and was just swimming at the top of the tank then on that night he sinked and was upside down dead. it was sad and i said my saying and took him out the next day.

Back
Top Bottom