Jewel cichlid in a community tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thursyanna

Aquarium Advice Freak
My friends gave me a jewel cichlid from their cichlid tank because he was getting his butt kicked. I had him in my little 5 gal until I made sure he was going to live. They are afraid to put him back in their tank so we put him in my 55 gal tank. I am wondering if this was a good idea. I have 6 tetras, a pleco, a striped Rafael catfish, a Green Severum, 2 Eartheaters, a Neon Blue Dwarf Gourami, a Giant Gourami, a Pearl Gourami, and a female betta. My parameters are: tank is 78 degrees, Ammonia & Nitrites at 0, Nitrates are 30 ( I have some live plants), PH is 7.8. All my fish get along with each other. I want to make sure the cichlid won't eat anyone. Any advise would be appreciated. I don't know much about cichlids. The first picture is the Jewel in my 5 gal and then a picture of my 55 gal.

Attachments

• 2013-04-29 21.05.53.jpg
    2013-04-29 21.05.53.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 192
  • 2013-04-26 17.53.48.jpg
    2013-04-26 17.53.48.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 191
My friends gave me a jewel cichlid from their cichlid tank because he was getting his butt kicked. I had him in my little 5 gal until I made sure he was going to live. They are afraid to put him back in their tank so we put him in my 55 gal tank. I am wondering if this was a good idea. I have 6 tetras, a pleco, a striped Rafael catfish, a Green Severum, 2 Eartheaters, a Neon Blue Dwarf Gourami, a Giant Gourami, a Pearl Gourami, and a female betta. My parameters are: tank is 78 degrees, Ammonia & Nitrites at 0, Nitrates are 30 ( I have some live plants), PH is 7.8. All my fish get along with each other. I want to make sure the cichlid won't eat anyone. Any advise would be appreciated. I don't know much about cichlids. The first picture is the Jewel in my 5 gal and then a picture of my 55 gal.

I have 2 blood red jewels, my small male 3 inch killed 3 fire mouths in 1 night, they can be aggressive..

I'll have to keep an eye on him. I was "babysitting" two of their parrot fish for a while but they started eating my glofish and harassing my betta so they went back home. They now have their own 40 gal.

I wouldn't do it. Jewels can be very aggressive. If you could put him in the tank and literally watch for hours and hours...but I would be afraid to go to sleep. Tetras, gourami, and betta would probably be done quickly.

Well, so far, so good. I checked on everyone as soon as I got up this morning and they are all there and getting along. Even my betta doesn't seem intimidated (yet). I know that could all change in the blink of an eye but as of today, they are all getting along. The Jewel is even changing colors and getting brighter. What's up with that?

Attachments

• 2013-05-04 20.54.13.jpg
    2013-05-04 20.54.13.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 123
  • 2013-05-05 00.33.16.jpg
    2013-05-05 00.33.16.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 125
I had two jewels in a bigger community tank and they didn't bother anyone. But there were enough fish in the tank they couldn't get to rowdy.

I had two jewels in a bigger community tank and they didn't bother anyone. But there were enough fish in the tank they couldn't get to rowdy.

That sounds like mine. I have a 55 gal with caves and there are 15 other fish in there. So far she's been a model fish! :fish2:

OK, Jewel is starting to get too pushy. "Someone" got ahold of my Neon Blue DG and shredded his fins. I don't know if it was Jewel or not but that's my guess. DG is now in the hospital. My question is, my friends that have the cichlid tank told me that once you take a cichlid out, you can't put them back in the tank with the other cichlids. Is that correct?

When I started my first tank, I went in without any research or a clue what I was doing. My tank had 4 tiger barbs, a red tailed shark, a blue gourami, and 6 tetra, can't remember what, think they were glass tetras.

Then bought a jewel cichlid as I loved the colour. I'd say within 3 months he had killed all but 2 tigers and the gourami. The tigers lasted only a few more months.

I loved the jewel, great fish, but yes very aggressive in a community set up.

I only had a 10 gal, he lasted about 2.5 years then died, I really should have rehomed as it was probably stunted growth that killed him. Near the end of his life I had 6 buenos airies tetras which did fine up against him, but again I now know they shouldn't really have been together.

I would definitely rehome.

Just to add to my above comment, I see people have said their jewels are fine with others in their larger tanks, so yes my jewel could have just been over aggressive due to the small tank size

Back
Top Bottom