Jewel cichlid.... Will these mate with each other?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jvbfamily

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 4 jewel cichlids and am trying to setup a breeder tank as I love these fish.
My problem is, where I live, they don't seem to have tank fills of jewels and seem very rare to ket 2 of the same colours.

Jewel 1
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404898794.675566.jpg

Bought this colour and always this colour. ( assuming male )

Jewel 2
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404898868.328938.jpg

Bought same time as jewel 1 (guessing this is a female as jewel one gets along with her very well and has been seen fanning in front of her constantly)

Jewel 3
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404898997.559081.jpg

Love the purplish tint ( trying to figure out sex)

Jewel 4
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404899050.456706.jpg

Again no idea what sex.

Jewel 1-2 and tankmates and 3-4 are in a separate tank as they are smaller and I don't want to wake up with dead fish not knowing the sexes. 3-4 get along great so assuming both are not males.

I want to ask the experts here how to sex them and most importantly will jewels of 4 different colours mate with each other ?

New to the hobby
55gal mixed cichlid
55gal oscar
10gal waiting for possible fry

Sorry, I don't know much about jewels, not generally my cup of tea, but I did notice that you posted a picture of a buttikoferi. You're gonna end up with some dead jewels if that's the case.

Also, I do know there are several species within the genus hemicachromis. I believe turquoise jewels (like 2 and 4) are bimaculatus, and I think 1 may be lafilili

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yeah the butti I know will need to be rehoused when he gets bigger. Unfortunately living in HK space is lacking and no returning fish nor second hand market to give it off to. I didn't know when I first bought him that it would grow insanely huge. ATM gets along well in my community tank with jewel 1 and 2, and other mbuna's. Originally had an oscar in there to but he got big fast and became a bully so have him in his own tank.

New to the hobby
55gal mixed cichlid
55gal oscar
10gal waiting for possible fry

Size isn't the only issue really, buttikoferi are homicidal once they reach sexual maturity. One of the most aggressive species outside of central america

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom