jewel cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Listo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hello my jewel cichlids just had some babies and i was wondering how long it would take for them to acctually look like jewel cichlids?
im new to this fish thing so dont jump down my throat please.
also how old should they be b4 i sell them or give them away.

A family friend of mine had jewels who also had babies. I believe it took over 2 months but I'm not totally sure. They were probably 7-8 months old, 11 were still alive when I brought them to the store. They could have been brought when they were 4-5 months though I think.

thanks for that info
im assuming you meant 2 months till they looked like jewels (although they are already jewels in my eye lol) not 2 months for them to breed.

also, shoud i feed them some special food or will they just eat the little pieces of flake food?

heres some pics if anyones interested
the first one is of the whole family and the second is of the mom (i beleive) and a close up of the fry (i think there fry not to sure on the terms yet)

fish022.jpg

fish023.jpg

Listo said:
thanks for that info
im assuming you meant 2 months till they looked like jewels (although they are already jewels in my eye lol) not 2 months for them to breed.

also, shoud i feed them some special food or will they just eat the little pieces of flake food?
Haha, yeah that is what I meant.
My family friend only feeds his fish flakes and algae wafers. Therefore, I would guess they'll do fine with crushed flakes. Live and/or frozen foods would be good for them also.
Beautiful jewels BTW.

How big of a tank do you have, and are there any other fish with your Jewels? I'm only asking you this because after 2 or 3 spawnings my male turned on my female. In my reasearch after this happened I found that it is best to keep target fish in the tank so that the aggression can be focused on something other than each other.
These are great fish, but come with a temper that is unmatched.

I know you were asking Listo but my friend had only 2 jewels in the tank, they had the babies and when the female stopped producing the male killed her. I'm not sure if you should remove the female when she stops producing but I would think it's better than her getting killed.

Back
Top Bottom