Jewel Cichlids tank mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

connorMV

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone, just a quick question about possible tank mates for my jewel Cichlids. So at the moment o have a 96l with 5 jewel Cichlids, 1 danio zebra (had since I set the tank up, pretty sure its invincible) and 1 bristlenose catfish. Next month I'm getting a 130l tank and wanted to put some different fish in as well. Now I know the Cichlids will eat pretty much anything. But has anyone got ANY recommendations? Also I would love some shrimp but I'm sure they would just end up a meal, any advice there?

Thanks [emoji2]

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Lol!! I just want to say that I have the same deal with my zebra danio. He is ancient and has become the king of the too stratus. My first ever tank about 4 years ago I had zebra danios, so it is possible that he is one of my first fish. Regardless, I only got zebras a handful of times so he is definitely 3 years old at least! Right now he is in a tank with firemouths and tiger barbs.

Sorry I don't know anything about you jewel cichlids.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Haha it doesn't matter what disease breaks out or what predators are in the tank he just doesn't budge! No worries thanks all the same!

Your only going from a 25 us gallon to a 35 us gallon. With 5 Hemichromis if 2 pair up the rest will not be tolerated in that size tank and will either be bullied or killed. At this point I would not add anything. 5 5inch fish is a lot for a 25 gallon.
give this a quick read http://www.fishlore.com/profile-jewelcichlid.htm

Yeah, their all still fairly small. Been waiting to see if 2 pair off so I can just keep the pair. As for the tank size, iv just seen one I really like for a good price thats why it's not a huge upgrade. However if I find a bigger tank at a good deal in the mean time I'll go for it!

In my experience the list is water, rocks and gravel

So iv changed my mind on the tank. Getting a Fluval Roma 240 (so excited) I have read you can keep them with other similar size African Cichlids. Ever tried that?

Jewels are from africa, however their a bit of an oddball, their a riverine species and in my experience either bully their tank mates in an African setup or don't survive, dependent on which Africans you keep with them. I've seen it done, it's not something I personally recommend.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just confirming my fears. Thank you, probably just stick with the jewels!

Back
Top Bottom