Jewels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The boring name

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys I was wanting to know if I could put a jewel cichlid or two in my African cichlid lake Malawi tank? Would there be any problems? I have lots of rocks and filtration. It Is a 55 gal. Thanks!

I moved two jewels (red & turqoise) from a SA tank where they were causing problems (killed a couple of firemouths) into my African tank. This was about a year ago.

The jewels went from being bullies to being more on the shy side. They are still eating and doing fine but they don't mess with the other fish.

I am not saying that this would work for everyone and I am no expert but it did work for me. I was able to keep the fish and adding the red into the mix added some nice color.

Jewels are not a good addition to a Rift lake (Malawi, Tanganyika, Victoria) tank. Jewels are actually from western Africa and are riverine. They prefer a much lower pH and hardness to the rift lake species, and they do not live naturally in a hierarchy like many rift species do.

Back
Top Bottom