jewels with mbuna?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe that was the problem in your tank. I've always had the mbuna as the smallest fish in the tank. Until now the auratus is the only kind I've ever had. Now I have an auratus and a bumble bee. My jewels are almost twice the size of the auratus and one is a little bigger than the bee and the other is about the same size as the bee. They have been together for ten months. I would never put a jewel or probably any fish in a tank with 15+ mbunas especially if the jewel is smaller. That's like a death trap. Why would you take that chance with the fish's life?

Wow! Really? You don't know squat about me or how I take care of my fish. Nor do you know what kind of fish I have. Before accusing someone of taking chances with a fish's life you should get a little more info.

The jewel was a tad smaller than the mbuna but nothing major. I had probably 15ish mbuna in the tank with TONS of plants, caves, stumps and hidey holes. I've added other mbuna to the tank and never had an issue. And the jewel was fine for several weeks....until he wasn't fine anymore. I'm not new to the cichlid game lol. Mbunas are jerks! I love em, but they're still jerks! In my opinion, mbuna should ONLY be with other mbuna. Why take the chance with something's life? Just my opinion ;)

Are these not your words? Is what I said any different than your last sentence? Do these words not tell some critical info about how you took care of that Jewel?

unfortunately the aggression is part of cichlid keeping, really sucky part.. we do our best to not let a fish get terrorized/stressed/killed, but it happens. My yellow lab is well.. a butthead. Peaceful mbuna my foot! He's in with 4 peacocks, 3 of them 3x his size and he's not the tank boss, but he's the boss's little minion.. They gang up on one of the other peacocks..

Back
Top Bottom