johanni or maingano?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

christine2012

Aquarium Advice FINatic
A few weeks ago, I was dead set on getting an EB Johanni. Picked out my baby from petsmart, and he settled right in. Now I'm learning that males retain female colors into adulthood. My johanni is barely an inch long and has male Johanni colors. Does this mean maingano? Its impossible to get a pic of him. I call him scoot because of the way he always darts out of my shot. This pic is of when I first got him.

ForumRunner_20120622_112539.jpg

At barely an inch that's a maingano (which are also known by their common name Electric Blue Johanni); not to be confused with johanni's in which both genders start life as yellowish-colored fish with males undergoing a color transition as they mature to becom horizontally-striped blue/black fish.

that is a maingano, not that thats a bad thing, they are still beautiful fish and i find they are less aggressive then johanni

a.tetreault said:
that is a maingano, not that thats a bad thing, they are still beautiful fish and i find they are less aggressive then johanni

Yeah, it doesn't make me like the fish any less. Actually he's my favorite in the tank. Personality galore and to be so small he has a bad case of Napoleon complex. Will be interesting to watch things unfold as he grows up with my auratus keeping him in check. Thanks guys.

a.tetreault said:

image-269985114.jpg

I was totally happy with mine, The lfs claimed he was show quality, $40 for him honestly worth every penny, he was my favorite out of all fish purchases ive ever made, May he RIP.

Awesome colors on your guy! I'm in love with mine. Idk about less aggressive though! Mine is trying to run the tank! So funny to watch a tiny little fish being the boss, most of them have submitted to him! Hahaha
I paid $6 for him, but he was labeled johanni -.-

christine2012 said:
Awesome colors on your guy! I'm in love with mine. Idk about less aggressive though! Mine is trying to run the tank! So funny to watch a tiny little fish being the boss, most of them have submitted to him! Hahaha
I paid $6 for him, but he was labeled johanni -.-

Mine was alone in the tank at the lfs. Not sure hes THAT nice but screw it lol! And as far as agression goes every indivisual is different mine was the KING of my tank for a
Long time, until i bought a male red zebra that took over. He didnt kill my
Blue guy surprisingly. He dug too deep and a large rock fell on top of him while i was asleep..................... U can imagine how angry i was

Jacobsal91 said:
Mine was alone in the tank at the lfs. Not sure hes THAT nice but screw it lol! And as far as agression goes every indivisual is different mine was the KING of my tank for a
Long time, until i bought a male red zebra that took over. He didnt kill my
Blue guy surprisingly. He dug too deep and a large rock fell on top of him while i was asleep..................... U can imagine how angry i was

Ill take that as a warning. :( That's so sad! I'm actually in the process of egg crating my rocks for that very reason.

Back
Top Bottom