johanni or maingano?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They look the same.. where did you get it ? Usually if its the assorted cichlid tank its johanni if it was yellow and turned colors johanni..

I got him from a reputable LFS. He was sold to me as a johanni.

Looks like a Johanni, the maingano's are generally a lighter blue coloration. But since they both look very similar it's tough to be exact

Thanks everyone. I'm pretty sure he's a johanni. I've just heard a lot of horror stories about Lfs's. Hopefully I've found a good one.

If he's an inch long then it's a maingano. At an inch a johanni should still be yellow. They only turn blue when males reach sexual maturity.

I think I've been sold mainganos as jahonnis do mainganos get egg spots when they get older

Well they change colors at sexual maturity and they usually get mature at 2.5-3ins

Well, maybe I did buy a maingano. My guy is already blue at 1.5 inches max. The pics I've seen of maingano, have a little rougher horizontal line than mine. In any case I'm keeping him. Already has a little personality and is fearless.

I find it very annoying that lfs do this my fish were all blue when I bought them at an inch long so I assume they are not jahonni as they told me. It's hard enough when you are first starting out without being mis-sold fish. They also sold me 2 firemouths and told me they were fine with Africans I have since set up a new tank for them to go in. It's very true what they say on here never believe the lfs

Back
Top Bottom