Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-17-2011, 01:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have a relatively new tank. You can read my profile to see what is in there. My concern is the Electric Blue Johanni. The LPS that I purchased it from swore that it would be completely compatible with my other Lake Malawi Cichlids. However, several online sources completely disagree with that and warn me that it will one day turn into an aggressive killer. I've had it for about a month. So far it has not been a problem. Oh, right after feeding (when the food is gone and just bits are left) it gets a little ornery for a few minutes, but not so much that the others get stressed or hide from it. It has not caused any injuries. Opinions?

Thanks,
JD

Old 11-17-2011, 01:53 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Long term, when they mature and begin the process of establishing territory, it will most likely turn into the most aggressive cichlid in the tank.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Partially in response to your reply to another post of mine, now I am starting to reconsider whether I should remove the Johanni. The LPS where I purchased it will not take it back, and I'm not sure I can even give it to any other pet stores in the area. Not sure what to do.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

There is no absolutes in Africans. It depends on too many factors. The x factor is that particular fish. Just keep an eye on things, If he turns into a murdering pain. Get rid of him. If hes just the tank boss, removing him will just give way to another tank boss. It is safe to say if he kills then he will again. Africans need a pecking order. If you want a totally peaceful tank dont keep malawis. Even the most peaceful Tang tank will still have some aggression. Rocks and proper stocking will reduce aggression but it will always be present.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:15 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Indeed as "J" pointed out, there are no absolutes with cichlids (or any other fish for that matter). Obviously the temperament of individual fish will vary. Your LFS may have had good luck with these mixed with other Africans, but there are so many factors they may not be considering or telling you. How big are the tanks they were stocked into? How much rockwork was present to provide hiding places? How overstocked were the tanks to help reduce aggressiong? All are factors that can affect the overall out come.

All I can reference is my own personal experience - I always thought they were pretty (females bright orange, males turn a pretty purplish-blue), and had great sexual dimorphism. As a result, I've tried them several times; large tanks, smaller tanks, over stocked tanks, under stocked tanks, bigger fish, etc. In every case, I've eventually ended up with the Johanni male being the single survivor or I've had to remove them from the tank. The last one I had lived out its life in 20Long tank all by itself, because I couldn't put it in any of my other tanks.

Hopefully yours will work out for you, but just keep a sharp eye on him, especially once he matures.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Old 11-22-2011, 02:21 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Both great posts. Thanks! So at about what size would the Johanni be considered to be adult?
Old 11-22-2011, 02:24 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

adult can be like 6 or more inches in a good size tank, but breeding maturity would be a min of 2-3in.
if u got lots of females of johanni or africans similar to them, there would be less chance of aggression in the tank x
can i ask what it is in with?
Old 11-22-2011, 02:24 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wy Renegade View Post
Indeed as "J" pointed out, there are no absolutes with cichlids (or any other fish for that matter). Obviously the temperament of individual fish will vary. Your LFS may have had good luck with these mixed with other Africans, but there are so many factors they may not be considering or telling you. How big are the tanks they were stocked into? How much rockwork was present to provide hiding places? How overstocked were the tanks to help reduce aggressiong? All are factors that can affect the overall out come.

All I can reference is my own personal experience - I always thought they were pretty (females bright orange, males turn a pretty purplish-blue), and had great sexual dimorphism. As a result, I've tried them several times; large tanks, smaller tanks, over stocked tanks, under stocked tanks, bigger fish, etc. In every case, I've eventually ended up with the Johanni male being the single survivor or I've had to remove them from the tank. The last one I had lived out its life in 20Long tank all by itself, because I couldn't put it in any of my other tanks.

Hopefully yours will work out for you, but just keep a sharp eye on him, especially once he matures.
Wy...have you heard of any success keeping a large Hap as the tank boss with a Jo? Ive heard but not read any good data on the subject. The idea is the Jo would be kept in check by the Hap...But the hap would have to be a pussycat. The aggressor in the tank I saw was a male auratus...What do you think
Old 11-22-2011, 02:35 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

It wouldn't surprise me, but again it would take a large overstocked tank with lots of hiding spaces. The M. auratus is just as aggressive as the Johanni. In fact I've got a rescue that is all by himself in a 30gal tank right now. I don't know that you would really be solving the problem, so much as replacing one issue causing fish with another.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:39 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wy Renegade View Post
It wouldn't surprise me, but again it would take a large overstocked tank with lots of hiding spaces. The M. auratus is just as aggressive as the Johanni. In fact I've got a rescue that is all by himself in a 30gal tank right now. I don't know that you would really be solving the problem, so much as replacing one issue causing fish with another.

The hap was put in to keep the arautus in check...It was told to me that it worked well. Another thing to try may be dither fish..

Tags
aggressive, cichlid, cichlids, ich, johanni

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com