Journaling Rescape/Stocking 30gal Holding Tank for Mbuna - Input Welcome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok sorry i didnt see that. I like the look of your tank but would still agree that more rocks and hidy holes would 100% be needed for mbuna and unless going 75 instead of 55 most haps should be avoided. Some peacocks would work if you 110% intend on upgrading the tank. The tank you have now isnt big enough for them.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Why should Haps be avoided, b/c it's not your preference?

I would have more if i could source it from the same place but its $$$ everywhere else ive looked. Its a hardlife for any female, subdominant male mbuna that why the male to.female ratio is the way it is. Without rocks to hide or avoid a dominant males gaze theyre going to get beaten up.

What about an all male tank? How would that work out, or would it be a bloody battle for dominance.

Why should Haps be avoided, b/c it's not your preference?

No because 55gallons is too small for most where 75g is fair for a good selection. Theyre more than my preference seryious.. theyre one of my favorites and i hope to have a red empress species tank before the next fullmoon to go with my rusty mbuna and my mdoka ngara flametail peacock species tanks.

Last edited:
What about an all male tank? How would that work out, or would it be a bloody battle for dominance.

All male peacock/hap tanks are actually more docile than any sort of mbuna tank from my knowledge. Peacock and haps are more docile than mbuna period. Without the addition of females cuts aggression. But you miss the natural behavior of the fish, which ia another reason i keep single species tanks and a bonus or a negative however you look at it is you have constant breeding.

Now an all male mbuna tank now that would be something ha! I havent seen or heard of this being done before and im not going to comment on what outcome would be. A 15way brawl if i was pushed to answer.

Last edited:
No because 55gallons is too small for most where 75g is fair for a good selection. Theyre more than my preference seryious.. theyre one of my favorites and i hope to have a red empress species tank before the next fullmoon to go with my rusty mbuna and my mdoka ngara flametail peacock species tank.

I dont get it, there are haps that reach the same size as your rusties & u have 10 *shrugs*

All male peacock/hap tanks are actually more docile than any sort of mbuna tank from my knowledge. Peacock and haps are more docile than mbuna period. Without the addition of females cuts aggression. But you miss the natural behavior of the fish, which ia another reason i keep single species tanks and a bonus or a negative however you look at it is you have constant breeding.

Now an all male mbuna tank now that would be something ha! I havent seen or heard of this being done before and im not going to comment on what outcome would be. A 15way brawl if i was pushed to answer.

So what do you think I should start out with? My only lfs are Petco and a mom and pop shop that is ok. Neither have a wide variety. I haven't been to the mom and pop shop in a while but I know Petco has "assorted African cichlids" and then some labeled like labs, peacocks, and stuff like that. I'll have to take a visit to the other store.

I dont get it, there are haps that reach the same size as your rusties & u have 10 *shrugs*

What, im confused. Name me any hap that reaches a length of 3-4inches?

Completely ignoring the fact the open water haps need more room than mbuna anyway, my rusty tank is way understocked. Rusties are dwarf mbuna if you didnt know and 4inch is actually ambitious its more like 3inch but one of my males is a DAddy. Anyone whos in the know would tell you i could fit another 10 on top.

And again, regardless of my low stocking im over filtered and preform 30% water changes every second day. Next???

Last edited:
So what do you think I should start out with? My only lfs are Petco and a mom and pop shop that is ok. Neither have a wide variety. I haven't been to the mom and pop shop in a while but I know Petco has "assorted African cichlids" and then some labeled like labs, peacocks, and stuff like that. I'll have to take a visit to the other store.

I would suggest looking at as many peacock and mbuna species and decide on one you have to have and stock others from there. One thing i personally wouldnt do is keep both mbuna and peacocks together as it leads for a stressful life for the peacocks. If you have to keep both i would get the peacocks first and let them grow and mature and then make sure the mbuna you get arnt considered aggressive in 'mbuna terms'

As adding peacocks to an established mbuna tank will end in death. Overstocking will reduce aggression but over filtering along with twice as many water changes will be needed.

Stocking a african tank fish need to be added in group to stop new individuals being singled out and bullied to death which especially needed with mbuna because they can be rustless. My way of stocking a tank is to add them all at once.

My method is to fishless cycle the tank to 5ppm. The same day i get the fish take my existing media from one of 3 filters in my tanks and place it in the new tank while obviously replacing the other with clean media! (i use fluval u4s for this job) which i run in both my exsisting tanks along side a canister and a sponge powerhead. Besides the fact theyre the same species and have been kept together anyway, This obviously cuts down on aggression because everyone is is a new place together and will work for adding different species together also.

In your case because you have fish adding them in groups of 5 while rearranging the tank each time you add a group would be the best option.

Last edited:
Ok thanks! That was very informative.

I think I'm gonna start out with 5-6 peacocks or mbuna and just make my decision when I get their as they get new stock twice a week. Or maybe like 3 peacocks this week and 3 mbuna next week. Getting them on Saturday!

Quick question, are yellow labs and zebras considered "mbuna" I'm kinda confused as theirs just so many different species.

Yes they are both mbuna. I would strongly recommend choosing peacocks or mbuna. Go along to the lfs with this clear in your mind it's one or the other. Why because it will be a lot easier on the peacocks if you don't include mbuna. As stated earlier in this thread choose your one must have species and work stocking from there. You may end up deciding on a species tank !

Ok, I'm probably going to stick with mbuna, as they were the ones that originally caught my eye. They're colors are incredible.

I also have a question about dither fish. Do any one you use them?

Okay, I'll mark dither's off the list.

Thinking of ordering a couple pounds of Texas holey rock. Any good sites you guys use to order from? Or should I just browse amazon and eBay for a deal.

I'm really beginning to worry that you don't realise how much rock you need to make these fish feel comfortable and behave naturally so please go to the thread called tank update on the cichlid discussion page and look at the amount of rock in the first photo. It's not texas holey but that doesn't matter just look at the amount of it please.

Her ya go
attachment.php

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389914845.225320.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389914859.533976.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389914922.623739.jpg

Agreed. Rocks rocks and more rocks! Here's some of my tanks and I think I need more rock for sure. Just need smaller ones to pile up on top

No I get it. I'll be sure to add more rock before purchasing this weekend no doubt. I'll post pictures eventually! I really want to keep my nice piece of manzanita driftwood in the aquascape tho. Spent $25 on it and would hate for it to go to waste.

Btw beautiful tanks guys!

Spent $25 on it and would hate for it to go to waste.

Since you said waste....With that many rocks in the aquarium their poop with find it's way around the rocks base and if holy rocks in the holes. A good flow and good cleaning is a must...Just keep that in mind. I have seen friends with gin clear water and when I asked them to move a few rocks poop starts flying out like missiles. I cut down on the rocks I had and switch it around a bit....At the same token find other means of having shelter for them. sometimes they find a place that you dont want them in. One of my yellow labs loves sitting in the powerhead when I shut it down for their feeding. After he eats he goes inside. I always have to check that he is not inside before I flip it back on.

You want the aquarium to have a nice structures for your cichlids but at the same time easy for you to clean and keep up. Once it becomes a chore, the love for the hobby ends fast. Good luck.....

vq79.jpg

Back
Top Bottom