Journaling Rescape/Stocking 30gal Holding Tank for Mbuna - Input Welcome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhawk__

Aquarium Advice Addict
The title says it all. Thinking of adding a cave in bottom right corner but really like how the tanks looking now. I think it looks very sleek.

Oh and don't worry about the current stock, they'll be rehomed when I finally decide on what I want stock wise.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389839037.039478.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The picture doesn't due the rocks justice. They're actually decent in size, just look smaller cause of the angle. I think I'm gonna order another 3 lbs or so of this same rock to make a cave in the corner.

Any plants you'd recommend? I have a dual t5. Used to be a planted tank before I rescaped it.

Too much open space for the type of fish you like....I'd say Haps would be more suited for this one for they are open swimmers...

Too much open space for the type of fish you like....I'd say Haps would be more suited for this one for they are open swimmers...

Not sure if lfs sells haps. Id have to check. I don't really know much about them as I've been researching mbuna mostly. What is their max size?

Anywhere from 28-30 gallons. Can't figure out exact cause the dimension are weird but it's In between there. And don't go freaking out about how it's to small, it's a grow out tank. Lfs sells anywhere from 1-2 inch

Haplochromis Sp. #44 ~5"
Haplochromis Sp. Blue Obliquidens ~3.5"
Haplochromis Flameback~4.5"
Haplochromis Burtoni ~6"

These are some nice fish to consider, research them & you will find them on Websites like Dave's Rare Aquarium

Not looking to pay a ton on shipping. I checked his site, couldn't find the haps you mentioned tho.

I was looking more into labs, zebras, convicts, maybe peacocks, etc. just something basic. This is my first time with cichlids. Not really sure how to put them together.

Not looking to pay a ton on shipping. I checked his site, couldn't find the haps you mentioned tho.

I was looking more into labs, zebras, convicts, maybe peacocks, etc. just something basic. This is my first time with cichlids. Not really sure how to put them together.

Convicts are a good start for a beginner cichlid keeper...very hardy & easy to keep, & super easy to breed, I mean they breed alot...you could pair them w/Jack Dempseys or Firemouths...

Here's a photo of one of two of my tanks produced by a single pair of convicts
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389844530.244918.jpg

Pic didn't load but yeah that's all I want! Something simple but nice to look at. Also something that down the road will work in a larger tank. I don't want to buy fish that I'll just have to regime eventually.

I'll have a 55/75 depending on cost or deals on craigslist eventually lol.

The fish you already have wont coexist with africans and will need rehoming.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited:
I know, as I mentioned earlier, they will be rehomed.

Ok sorry i didnt see that. I like the look of your tank but would still agree that more rocks and hidy holes would 100% be needed for mbuna and unless going 75 instead of 55 most haps should be avoided. Some peacocks would work if you 110% intend on upgrading the tank. The tank you have now isnt big enough for them.

Rocks are really important. This is my dwarf mbuna tank.

Rusty species tank with 10 fish. 3male and 7 females.

The tank is a 52g fluval roma 200 and its the perfect size for the fish reaching 4inchs.

Attachments

• 1389846368349.jpg
    1389846368349.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
Ok sorry i didnt see that. I like the look of your tank but would still agree that more rocks and hidy holes would 100% be needed for mbuna and unless going 75 instead of 55 most haps should be avoided. Some peacocks would work if you 110% intend on upgrading the tank. The tank you have now isnt big enough for them.

Yeah def 110% upgrading once I find a good deal. Almost bout a 90 gal off craigslist a month or two ago but didn't know id be getting into cichlids at the time and didn't know what I would do with it. I just want to learn with a smaller tank about all the basics, and how they act and stuff.

Rocks are really important. This is my dwarf mbuna tank.

Rusty species tank with 10 fish. 3male and 7 females.

The tanks a 52g fluval roma 200 and its way understocked with my fish reaching 4inchs.

Beautiful tank! I didn't realize how much rock these guys needed. I just have seiryu (however you spell it) stones in there now. Idk if there any good for stacking though. I might have to get some slate!

I would have more if i could source it from the same place but its $$$ everywhere else ive looked. Its a hardlife for any female, subdominant male mbuna that why the male to.female ratio is the way it is. Without rocks to hide or avoid a dominant males gaze theyre going to get beaten up.

Back
Top Bottom