JULI PH HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

F-18 TECH

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just a quick question;
I recently bought two julidcromis transcriptus from auction and am finding them facinating. How ever they are my first tanganyikan cichlids. Is the water requirements the same for them as for Malawi cichlids. Ph 8+ etc. Thanks in advance for any info you can give me.

Lake Tanganyikans prefer similar ph to Malawi cichlids. I beleive the preference in ph between the 2 lakes is Malawi is 7.4-8.6, Tanganyika is 7.8-9.0. IMO a steady ph is more important that trying to acheive "perfect" ph for your tank.

Julie's stay small from what I recollect. They are a beautiful fish. Any pics?

What size tank do you hae them in and what tankmates?

The Juli's are in a 25 gallon all buy their lonesome for now.
I tried to get some other of their kind at the auction but they were snapped up by a very annoying bidder that wanted everything to do with them. I fought for these and one yea. I will try and get some picks of the fish but they really dont like the camera.

I agree with Zagz- a stable pH is far more important than having the "correct" one.

Some julies can reach 6 and 7 inches, but your transcripts are one of the smaller species and should do great in the 25 gallon.

Enjoy them- they're great fish!

Just as a confirmation, yes, a stable ph is much, much more important than the "correct" ph. People think they have to have a certain ph for a particular fish to live, but in reality, they adapt just fine, and are very happy in a stable environment. So you have it from another person... :)

Thanks for the advice guys. I will post picks here tonight. Last night I got them to stand still using my digital camera. I was in the dark so I was a littel harder to see I guess, " :lol: Ninja Like"

Back
Top Bottom