Julie Variety ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arget

Aquarium Advice Freak
Got my first ever cichlids today. They are still pretty small, but I think that they're a pair. They are Marlier's. What exact kind are they? I know that they come in quite the variety, depending on where from the lake that their wild ancestors came from, and that they tend to hybridize, and that the Gombe is not a Transcriptus, but a small Marlier. That's not even counting that resent research has implied that Transcriptus and Marlier are the same, with the Transcriputs being a dwarf variety. I think that they might be Gombe, based on pictures. I did not ask them what variety they are, nor did I try to guesstimate the size of the fully grown breeding pair in one of their show tanks.

Attachments

• New Arrivals 008.jpg
    New Arrivals 008.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 56
I think guessing at point of collection could be nearly impossible..
Do you think the fish are wild collected or tank bred?
Many of the variations from collection points are attributed to the [slight] geographic differences that are not present in aquariums IMO...

Tank bred. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the Julies in my LFS came from the breeding pair in one of their show tanks. I might have some better pictures this morning, if I can get them out of hiding. Last fall I asked them at what ph they kept their Julies, and I doubt that wild caught ones can stand a ph of 7.2.

Back
Top Bottom