Jumping oscar!! :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oscar98

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was feeding my oscar tonight and she jumped straight out of my tank and landed on my carpet. I immediately put on gloves and grabbed her and put her back in the tank. While doing that one of her BIG spikes got me and went about 2in into my hand right under my thumb. The oscar is looking very pale and wouldnt even eat a crayfish. I have 2 questions. What can i do to help her? And can i get infected at all by this?

Ok thanks lol. I thought she would be ok but i wasnt sure. The hand doesnt hurt badly lol just wondering if it would get infected so thats good. The first thing i did was turn off the lights.

You can usually get a idea on the strength of a fish based on the tail fin, look at oscar and you'll see the size difference between many other cichlids of comparable size. They are extremely strong swimmers but lack the finese of smaller more agile fish, the best analogy would be a bull in a china store.

Last edited:
Oscars are very dramatic to changes..especially if they jumped out of the tank haha. It'll be fine and as long as your fish is healthy and your water is pretty good..then I wouldn't worry about infection.

Back
Top Bottom