Just got another 55

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

notenoughtanks

Aquarium Advice Freak
My wife is gonna kill me but this was free lol ...

Standard 55 gal , led hood lights .. Filters were crap lol , I've got enough AC 70s laying around to throw 2 on here ...

As for stock was thinking about a Central American tank ..

Was thinking for stock

1 JD ( should be fine 10inch Max )

2 Pictus cats

Ideas for fillers .. Was thinking some large tetras ??

Would love to do some Meeki .. Maybe as juvies but not adult ..

Was saving my Salvini idea for my big tank coming .. ( unless mog hooks me up with some fry ) lol

Do a planted tank with a pair or two of nice Thorichthys and some wild swords or platies.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Do a planted tank with a pair or two of nice Thorichthys and some wild swords or platies.

That sounds nice . For filtration I have 2- AC 70s laying around but I'm going to be getting a canister or 2 here in near future .. Just built another sump for my column tank . So that I have 3 main display tanks 56 column with Tropical community , might throw some Angels in later .. 75 gal mbuna , 55 getting set up and 180 build in the spring for peacock and Haps

As for plants might have to upgrade lights for plants , tank was one of those Walmart specials I think here is pic of lights like them ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418609060.749833.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418609241.415649.jpg
Not my tank but same style lights

You should be able to grow crypts, Val, Java Fern and Anubias at the very least with that.

I know for a fact crypts will grow almost in the dark.

NO PLANTED, lighting for a tank that tall is expensive as crap! I would turn it to a predator tank.

I made a DIY light with 4 11 watt 6500k compact cfl on my 55 gallon and lite it just fine. Those LED will achive just enough to grow undemanding low light plants like I mentioned.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418613791.464818.jpg

Ok cool , as for substrate I have around 60 lbs of sand in stock , will that be ok for plants or do I need a small gravel?

Depends on the sand really, I use pool filter sand almost exclusively and I grow all the plants I mentioned with out issue.

It's not an issue with the fish, if the sand is to fine it will compact and keep oxygen from reaching the roots.

Ahh ok, I have another sand like substrate aswell the nat geo wild it's the size of a crushed coral , id have to get more tho

You can always mix, I started mixing different sized natural colored gravel with my sand. Gives a much more natural look imo.

Back
Top Bottom