Just wondering

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JF213

Aquarium Advice Activist
If you had a 125g tank empty, what SA/CA cichlids would you stock in it to be your dream tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Personally, I would do a small group of geophagus sp. red tapajo with a pair of uaru amphianthancoides, along with a school of lemon tetras.

Freakgecko91 that sounds like a very nice setup. Does or LFS carry these fish or would you order them online?

It's hit or miss. I've seen lfs's carry both species, but they're not exactly common. Uaru are very regional and you must find good stock. Red head tapajo are pretty easy to find (in my experience). These aren't going to be cheap typically though, just a heads up

When looking for geophagus Tapajos I would recommend buying at 2" or larger when starting to color up some. in my experience with any geophagus when under 2" they are often miss labeled.

When looking for geophagus Tapajos I would recommend buying at 2" or larger when starting to color up some. in my experience with any geophagus when under 2" they are often miss labeled.

This is true with surinamensis-types like abalios, pindare, altifrons, dicrozoster, winemilleri, etc. sometimes red head or peach heads can get misidentified along with these, but aren't as commonly mislabeled as the others listed above, but definitely good addition mike

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I would add either a single rotkeil Severum, veija synspilum, or paratheraps zonatus.

If you had a 125g tank empty, what SA/CA cichlids would you stock in it to be your dream tank?

My 10.5" male jag fills up my 125g tank nicely. If i walk by the tank, he'll come up and wait for food. If anyone else walks by, he swims quickly to hide behind his driftwood. Very intelligent fish, that'd get my vote.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Honestly a good breeding pair of dovii or Oscars. They both are just so beautiful.

It sounds like everyone prefers the minimalistic approach of one or two large cichlids rather than several smaller cichlids.

A 125 is not nearly big enough for a pair of dovii

Not big enough for one even. Okay maybe a female, but definitely not a grown male. A 24 inch wide tank is good for big (one of the biggest cichlids) fish like that.

It sounds like everyone prefers the minimalistic approach of one or two large cichlids rather than several smaller cichlids.

If you go with more passive cichlids like severum and chocolate, you can keep smaller cichlids with them no problem. They are not viewed as a threat or competition so they just leave them be IME.

A 125 is not nearly big enough for a pair of dovii

True that would be insane to do. Now you see why i dont have any of them lol! But honestly if it can down to a 125 and choosing some fish id probably end up doing a assortment of fish or a good size group of convicts.

Not big enough for one even. Okay maybe a female, but definitely not a grown male. A 24 inch wide tank is good for big (one of the biggest cichlids) fish like that.

36" deep tank would be more ideal for a large male or pair.

There you have it - around 8 feet long by 3 feet wide. That's got to be in the 400 gallon range.

Back
Top Bottom