Juwel rio 180 L (50 gal) cichlid stocking question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Firemouth,convict,rainbow go perfectly together....srsly doubt there are 2 ca/sa cichlids that wont go with them, but thanks :)

What kind of cichlids are you considering? African rift lake cichlids are often stocked heavily to control aggression.

Yes, but I was hoping you made some changes due to the information given you.

dude...........

Did you read the thread?

Have you? Has there any changes been made in your thinking?

What if i would go with 2 of each of these cichlids im considering ? Firemouth,convict,rainbow ?

But what about the t-bar cichlid arent they very similar to firemouth when it comes to aggression ?

What if i would go with 2 of each of these cichlids im considering ? Firemouth,convict,rainbow ?

But what about the t-bar cichlid arent they very similar to firemouth when it comes to aggression ?
The t-bar is fairly similar in aggression to the firemouth. The problem is that all these moderately territorial fish can't definitively be combined in quantity inside that space. It may not work even if their temperaments are similar. The more aggressive fish get, the more space they need. If you want to maximize the amount of fish you can stick in your aquarium than shifting to more peaceful fish is the way to go. That being said, the reality is with fish on these aggression levels in the amount that you seem to want to stock them the only thing you can really do is try it. Just be prepared to remove fish if it becomes problematic.

On a random side note, I have never actually heard the sajica referred to as a t-bar cichlid. I keep having to look up which fish it actually is.

Thanks guys for the information you have given me! Really helped me , i will return to this thread and tell you guys how it went , but another question how many convict males could fit in that tank ? (Just wondering for another similar tank )

I would just warn you that trying to use overstocking to spread aggression with central American fish rarely works like it does with rift lake cichlids. If you decide to attempt this please keep an eye on them and be prepared to pull them if needed.

where im at unless some one has rehomed an adult its hard to find adult keyholes or Thorichthys.

Just found a video of when I tried a blue acara, fire mouth and keyhole. The kehole hid all the time and the acara didn't bother the fire mouth until the fire mouth decided to try to intimidate the blue acara. The video says it all. These were juvies also.
I ended up rehoming the acara and made the tank a firemouth only tank
moved the keyhole to a 30 with 2 more keyholes.

I think you should be looking at small - medium cichlids, not medium - big ones. Big fish require big tanks, and that is especially true for keeping multiple large territorial fish. Quite frankly your tank just isn't that big.

You've been given good advice in your thread - I think you should follow it.

couldnt agree more... be very careful with what you choose, id even look into the juripari and balzani species as these are beautiful and can be milder tempered.. salvini and blue acaras are really a hit or miss

Are balzani and convict and firemouth and rainbow compatible ?

I wouldn't recommend balzanii, or really any gymnogeophagus to a cichlid beginner really. Most species require seasonal temp drops and most are hit or miss on attitude. While balzanii are from Uruguay and one of, if not the most northern species of gymno, they will still present a lot of challenges not suited for a beginner IMO.

Satanoperca jurupari are going to be an expensive fish to dive into South American cichlids with. They will also outgrow the tank size listed here. Very few earth eaters will do well in a tank this size. Mostly gymnos and some of the other "earth eaters" like mikrogeophagus and guianacara (which is a not commonly seen genus really, one of my favorites).

I would pick one species, add a pair, possibly 2 pairs, and then add some dithers and call it a day. Mixing species can be a pain IME.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom