Keeping Green Severums with Angels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

puglito

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, just found this site today. Seems very nice and informative. :D Although I've kept cichlids for many years I'm sure there are many of you here who could help me out! I currently have a 90 gallon set up with 7 angels (1st time having angels) 6 green severums (had a pair of gold ones for 3+ yrs in the past) and 5 cory cats. I've had them 6-7 months. I introduced the Angels 1st then the Severums about a month later. They seem to get along well for the most part. They all feed well and are thriving. I know the 90 gallon will not support this community forever. My questions are 1) What size aquarium will be needed to keep this community of fish happy and healthy? 2) Will the Severums continue to not harm my angels? Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appriciated.

I'd say a 125 gallon tank would probably be okay; a 180g would be preferable. That advice comes with the caveat that cichlids are unpredictable and there are no set rules, of course. ;)

Chances are, if they've gotten along up to this point, they should continue to do so. Although I've seen a few sevs that must've been spawned in the pits of Hell, they're fairly laid back, in my experience. Breeding issues may change that, but you should be okay, provided everyone has enough territory and personal space.

Good luck.:)

I have a very large green severum and a gold severum that's about the same size - slightly smaller. There are two decent sized angels in the tank as well (75g). The severum leaves the angels alone completely...spends all of his time picking on the gold severum. I would agree that with that number of fish that get large a 125 or 180 would be great. This 75 is getting crowded really quickly, so I'm feeling your pain there!!! Good luck.

I really don't think anything less than a 180gal will suffice and IMO the 180 will be bare minimum, this is due not to the volume of the tank but the footprint.
Considering the Sev's/Angels mutual preference for plants & some structure in the form of woods/rocks this will be very minimal.
The Sev's will needing territory on the bottom, I'd figure two square feet minimum per fish. More, much more if a pair(s) form and they decide to breed, same goes for the Angels but they'll primarily be staking territories in the middle/top amongst plants and woods.

I would as a responsible fishkeeper be more inclined to recommend a 240-300gal setup as ideal.

i have had a single 4 in gold sev kill 4 full size angelfish within a 1 hr span, i added the sev to a 55 gal temp. while i changed the substrate in my 30 long i had it in. i came back about 1 hr later to find the angels lifeless or still twitching with no eyes, missing limbs & torn fins..
i was so mad, almost thru him in the freezer while i cleaned up his mess but decided not to.

Back
Top Bottom