Keeping other fish with African Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vice1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys, this is my first post and was hoping for some possible guidance on this subject.

I have just purchased my second aquarium Jewul Rio 240 and it is currently cycling (fishless cycle) I have for the first time added live plants and plenty of rocks, some wood too.

I plan to buy / keep African Cichlids in this aquarium and have done lots of research but was wondering if any other fish can be kept with them as well? Has anyone successfully kept other fish with African Cichlids (Lake Malawi) I have also installed an external filter to work alongside the jewul internal filter.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_0894.jpg
I have a rouge golden gourami who would like to think he's a cichlid as well as a pair of bristlenose plecos, 3 yoyo loaches and a red tailed shark with my peacocks and haps. Everyone is doing fine. But every fish has a different personality. I went through a few fish trying to find the right balance of temperament.

Thanks omni024! That's very much appreciated. I have a red tailed shark in my old community tank, so will keep him in the new tank with the AC's when I get them. I'll also look into your other suggestions. My new tank is cycled now and I have temporarily transferred my community fish into it before they get donated back to my local fish store. As said, I'll keep the red tail for now and see how he gets on. Thanks again!IMG_6960.JPG

View attachment 292831
I have a rouge golden gourami who would like to think he's a cichlid as well as a pair of bristlenose plecos, 3 yoyo loaches and a red tailed shark with my peacocks and haps. Everyone is doing fine. But every fish has a different personality. I went through a few fish trying to find the right balance of temperament.

You also have earth eaters in there, they require far different parameters than the Africans. This seems to be a hot topic lately. I have my beliefs on the matter but I'll just stay out of this one. Best to keep lakes and regions where they should be naturally imo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You also have earth eaters in there, they require far different parameters than the Africans. This seems to be a hot topic lately. I have my beliefs on the matter but I'll just stay out of this one. Best to keep lakes and regions where they should be naturally imo.

Yeah they are on the chopping block right now... I got them as an impulse buy. but like i said before still a work in progress :) thanks for pointing that out I like to hear others opinions.

I plan to buy / keep African Cichlids in this aquarium and have done lots of research but was wondering if any other fish can be kept with them as well? Has anyone successfully kept other fish with African Cichlids (Lake Malawi) I have also installed an external filter to work alongside the jewul internal filter.

Thanks in advance.

What did your 'lots of research' tell you for companions with Malawis?
You didn't miss it if you don't remember.....
it is not just whether a fish will beat the living crap out of each other ,but like Brook said, whether or not the fish are compatible with their water parameters.
Not very many fish can handle the water Malawis prefer.
With that in mind I can only think choices are hard water fish NOT from one of the other African lakes....
Brackish water possibly....
A Scat or Monodactyle angel are tough hard water fish...They both need groups of 3+.

Honestly a choice to keep Malawis with other fish is a poor choice for all fish involved IMO.:ermm:

Thanks omni024! That's very much appreciated. I have a red tailed shark in my old community tank, so will keep him in the new tank with the AC's when I get them. I'll also look into your other suggestions. My new tank is cycled now and I have temporarily transferred my community fish into it before they get donated back to my local fish store. As said, I'll keep the red tail for now and see how he gets on. Thanks again!View attachment 292841

Your tank looks awesome I wish I could find a large piece of driftwood like that (well they do have them but they are super expensive at my lfs[emoji25]) one think to note about the red tail shark... well at least in my experience... he will chase and be chased as they are not the type to back down from a fight. He may get a little beat up from time to time but they are super rewarding fish and as you know absolutely gorgeous. You just got to keep an eye on him and see if he finds his place in the pecking order.

What did your 'lots of research' tell you for companions with Malawis?
You didn't miss it if you don't remember.....
it is not just whether a fish will beat the living crap out of each other ,but like Brook said, whether or not the fish are compatible with their water parameters.
Not very many fish can handle the water Malawis prefer.
With that in mind I can only think choices are hard water fish NOT from one of the other African lakes....
Brackish water possibly....
A Scat or Monodactyle angel are tough hard water fish...They both need groups of 3+.

Honestly a choice to keep Malawis with other fish is a poor choice for all fish involved IMO.:ermm:

My research told me that people around the globe are keeping other fish with Malawis. I wasn't totally confident though hence why I'm asking for advice this end also... unfortunately there are many conflicting YouTube vids etc... That said, you are 100% correct with regards to water parameters so I guess more research is needed, or I could just not complicate things and not mix things up. Thanks for your help.

Your tank looks awesome I wish I could find a large piece of driftwood like that (well they do have them but they are super expensive at my lfs[emoji25]) one think to note about the red tail shark... well at least in my experience... he will chase and be chased as they are not the type to back down from a fight. He may get a little beat up from time to time but they are super rewarding fish and as you know absolutely gorgeous. You just got to keep an eye on him and see if he finds his place in the pecking order.

Thanks Omni024, I'm quite chuffed with the set up so far. The drift wood cost £85 (my wife thinks different :)) but yes very expensive! It's something I've always wanted and I always said I'd get when I got a bigger tank, so here it is! I love my red tail and I'll see how he gets on... fish safety and happiness is paramount so if it doesn't work, then I'll donate him to my lfs. Thanks again. Your aquarium is great too... love seeing how people do theirs in comparison.

Coralbandit may not agree with me but yes we as aquarists want to try and match the recommended water parameter for certain types of fish. But what I think is the most important part is just being consistent with the water parameters rather than trying to ride the roller coaster that is trying to change your water parameters. Fish are very adaptable and those that aren't die off to make room for those that are. Obviously you don't want to throw a wild caught discus into a tank with high ph and hard water. But many of the fish today that are on the market are captive bred and are used to being moved into water with different parameters. Of course there are other things to consider as well. But hey maybe I'm just stubborn and don't want to spend the money and time to reach and maintain perfect ph and water hardness. But if the fish are happy who cares.

Coralbandit may not agree with me but yes we as aquarists want to try and match the recommended water parameter for certain types of fish. But what I think is the most important part is just being consistent with the water parameters rather than trying to ride the roller coaster that is trying to change your water parameters. Fish are very adaptable and those that aren't die off to make room for those that are. Obviously you don't want to throw a wild caught discus into a tank with high ph and hard water. But many of the fish today that are on the market are captive bred and are used to being moved into water with different parameters. Of course there are other things to consider as well. But hey maybe I'm just stubborn and don't want to spend the money and time to reach and maintain perfect ph and water hardness. But if the fish are happy who cares.
I just thought OP wanted Malawi to match there source water?
I am not one to change my source water for anything other then breeding fish that require it.
I am 100% on run with your source if you can.This is how large and frequent water changes are managed...(y)
I had monos[sebae] and clown loaches in my 135 with Tangs[not Mbuna]...My clowns have been through everything so they own the tank now after 15 years...180g.
I know many say they do keep others but long term I honestly don't think people are seeing the big picture or telling how things really turned out...There are so many proper choices that can create a great tank without playing Russian roulette with it.
I am not a softy so this is not about one fish getting whipped, it's about a stressed uncomfortable tank that can generate or harbor disease easier then a properly stocked one...It's about wasting money and not being happy with the hobby in the end.
I see nothing wrong with putting what ever you want in your tank as long as you do so with real expectations...Find all info you can and EXPECT the WORST scenario if you roll it....
Don't come back like a 12 year old next month with some BS my what ever is acting funny...
I know, everybody funny,now you funny too!

I just thought OP wanted Malawi to match there source water?
I am not one to change my source water for anything other then breeding fish that require it.
I am 100% on run with your source if you can.This is how large and frequent water changes are managed...(y)
I had monos[sebae] and clown loaches in my 135 with Tangs[not Mbuna]...My clowns have been through everything so they own the tank now after 15 years...180g.
I know many say they do keep others but long term I honestly don't think people are seeing the big picture or telling how things really turned out...There are so many proper choices that can create a great tank without playing Russian roulette with it.
I am not a softy so this is not about one fish getting whipped, it's about a stressed uncomfortable tank that can generate or harbor disease easier then a properly stocked one...It's about wasting money and not being happy with the hobby in the end.
I see nothing wrong with putting what ever you want in your tank as long as you do so with real expectations...Find all info you can and EXPECT the WORST scenario if you roll it....
Don't come back like a 12 year old next month with some BS my what ever is acting funny...
I know, everybody funny,now you funny too!

This is very true :) and actually your post pushed me over the ledge on whether or not to keep my geos. They were picked up the same day I posted them and went to a guy who had a small colony of the same fish. Now I just need to find out if this one fish is a female or not :p I'll be making a post about that later.

Also not quite sure what to make of your last paragraph sooo yeah sure.

I have about 12 1 inch mbuna in my tank. And they are with a gold severum and a rainbow cichlid. All are around an inch and my severum is about 2.5 inches But so far i havnt had any problems at all.

I have about 12 1 inch mbuna in my tank. And they are with a gold severum and a rainbow cichlid. All are around an inch and my severum is about 2.5 inches But so far i havnt had any problems at all.

Wait until they... grow!! That sev will get far bigger than the rest and if the Africans don't gang up and whoop him (doubtful) he will win.. the rainbow will most likely skate by. Than again.. claiming success with juvinile fish is like claiming you're a millionaire because you have $999,999.99

I figure that will happen. As soon as i have an issue ill be donating him back to my lfs. However im glad you think the rainbow will be ok hes easly my favorite

I have to agree with Coralbandit fort he most part; not a lot of other fish can cohabitate well with rift lake cichlids. Many types of Synodontus do well, as they coexist in the wild. I know several people who keep clown loaches with Malawi cichlids and do quite well. I have yoyo and weather loaches with my Tanganyika cichlids. Is your tank 240 liters or 240 gallons? Makes a lot of difference as to what you can stock.

I have to agree with Coralbandit fort he most part; not a lot of other fish can cohabitate well with rift lake cichlids. Many types of Synodontus do well, as they coexist in the wild. I know several people who keep clown loaches with Malawi cichlids and do quite well. I have yoyo and weather loaches with my Tanganyika cichlids. Is your tank 240 liters or 240 gallons? Makes a lot of difference as to what you can stock.

Thanks sherlar. My aquarium is 240 Ltr.

Ah. Sorry for my confusion. 240 liters is only a bit over 60 gallons. I'd be careful adding non-cichlid fish, as it doesn't give them much escape room if your cichlids become aggressive. Many cichlids show only mild aggression to other fish that aren't conspecific, but, like people, individual piscean personalities vary.

Back
Top Bottom