Kenyi's stomach sinking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bdscholl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
View attachment 302497

Hello, everyone! So I have this Kenyi African cichlid who's stomach started sinking. A little background; About two weeks ago, I put him, and two other Africans I have, into a new cycled 55 gallon tank. He was king of the other two in the 20 long. But, once he was placed in the 55, all he did was swim back and forth and wouldn't swim up or even stop for food when dropped in. I'd see him eat off the ground here and there, so I just figure he was a little shocked from the change. After about a week, I noticed he wasn't really eating at all. He started getting skinnier, while the other two were getting a bigger and they started pushing him around. Now, I put in melafix(cause he's a little frayed from the two) and he seems happy again. Not running the tank, but he comes up to the glass when I come around and he now eats food on the surface like normal. He doesn't seem to be getting much size back but it's been two days. So my question is; is he shocked or is the tea tree oil in the melafix just giving him temporary relief from an internal problem? Thanks!

Likely you called it right, the fish was stroked out due to the sudden move. The others took the opportunity to kick the kenyi while he was down, Making his situation worse. No way of knowing if the melafix contributed to his apparent recovery but it sure didn't hurt. As long as he is eating again, probably just a matter of time until he regains the alpha role. Good luck.

Likely you called it right, the fish was stroked out due to the sudden move. The others took the opportunity to kick the kenyi while he was down, Making his situation worse. No way of knowing if the melafix contributed to his apparent recovery but it sure didn't hurt. As long as he is eating again, probably just a matter of time until he regains the alpha role. Good luck.

That's what I'm hoping. I've had him for a little more than two month and he's always seemed healthy. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom